1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to get an approx date on the clothing in this picture?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by k344y, May 11, 2021.

1. k344y

k344y Registered Guest

I'm hoping someone might now an approximate year or range of years for this type of clothing. Hoping to help id the couple based on the date of the photo.

Thanks,

Kerry

Attached Files:

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Late 1890s to very early 1900s. Her hat is definitely late 1890s-1900, her clothing a little later, maybe 1900-1902. Some of the her clothing looks home made, sort of a mash up of styles so hard to really see the shape of it all. Was this taken in Europe?

Lets see what others think.

3. k344y

k344y Registered Guest

Thanks so much, Barbara. This would have likely been taken in Missouri, USA.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Her shirtwaist is c.1902. You can tell they aren't wealthy but having your picture taken was still a big deal so people dressed in their best and most fashionable clothes. Here is a fashion plate from 1902 with a similar:
    1902-r0508-winter-skirt-suit-mir-0015.jpg

5. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

It's a tintype, so very late 19th century. Also the woman's top is a pigeon style? I think it's called

6. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Tintypes aren't always antique, so important to consider the subject of the photo too! I have a tintype of my mother as a toddler in 1930.

7. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

I love the little purse she's carrying! And can you tell what he's holding? Is that an umbrella?

8. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Registered Guest

yes, tintypes were in use for a while since late 19th century till 1930s. But I don't think these are costumes. It's a typical county fair/ traveling photographer tintype. For "common folks" as inexpensive, rather than ambrotypes, or anything wet collodion on glass etc. Thank you, I have a phd in history of american photography lol ;)

9. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

In that time frame, men often held a tool of their trade in photos. Not enough shows in the to be certain of what he is holding.
    Marian

10. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I looks very much like an umbrella to me.

11. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

That must have been a fascinating course of study!

And I didn't mean to suggest the clothes weren't as old as they looked (ie that they could be costumes), just that dating clues often aren't as straightforward as they seem. :USETHUMBUP:

Midge likes this.
  12. British Emma

British Emma Registered Guest

That is unmistakably a "mono breast" or pigeon breast Gibson Girl top. Early 1900s.