1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HALSTON 70'S Leather wrap coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Su Thomas, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Su Thomas

Su Thomas Registered Guest

Bluebird 005.JPG

Hello everyone! Newbie here,

I recently had the good luck to come across this gorgeous dark green leather HALSTON coat from the 70's It doesn't have a size label. I am not sure if this was intentional as some of us ladies were a tad figure conscious? Or perhaps it was a sample from the talented man himself? So..... I intend to offer it for sale as the 'Netflix' show (Which I loved, btw) has no doubt made this designer more popular than ever. Where should I start as far as online selling sites go? All suggestions welcomed! Thanks in advance

Halston 001.JPG
    Halston 008.JPG Halston 003.JPG Halston 005.JPG Halston 004.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2021
    Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

It is a great looking coat and nice color too. The label looks sewn in rather poorly and there seems to be evidence of another (possibly) label beng there (tiny needle holes, etc). Lets see what other think, but the label looks off to me.

Su Thomas likes this.
  3. Su Thomas

4. Su Thomas

Hi Barbara, Thanks for your input. I did a bit of a closer inspection, and their appears to be a small tailors pin beneath the label holding it in place. If this is a ''moody'' aka fake 'Halston', it has been very poorly attempted (Bit of a numpty not finishing off the handy work) I need to more research. You may well be correct. As if it is 40+ yrs old as the label styling would suggest, it is in very good condition.

5. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

If the Halston label is the same size as the original label stitching marks, its possible it came off and sewn back on. But it shouldn't be crooked and it is currently poorly sewn. You may want to research and see if you can find photos of the coat in Halston ads.

6. Su Thomas

Thanks, I will.

7. Su Thomas

Hello all, There doesn't appear to be a sizer label either. So my best guess (I'm no expert) was that this may have been a sample?

I had another thought. Why try and pass a leather coat? Surely there might be more to gain by using a floaty chiffon gown? Also why donate it to a thrift store? I found it in my local Salvation Army.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  8. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

You never know. I've found couture items at thrift stores here. Someone cleaning out a deceased relative's house, may not be familiar with the name and just wanting to deal with it quickly and deciding to donate all the clothes and let someone else deal with it. I don't know where you are located - here in Switzerland you can call the Salvation Army and similar organisations to clean out a house or apartment if you don't want to deal with it, and they'll take everything and sell it in their thrift stores (they don't sell only clothes here but literally everything up to furniture).

GemGem likes this.
  9. Su Thomas

Hello Midge! Thanks for your comment. As you say ''You never know'' I have spent an hour or so looking for Halston fashion ads and found lots of glorious chiffon gown creations, the infamous faux suede but alas no leather coats. I am now watching lots of 'Youtube' vid's in the hopes of making a discovery! Lucky you living in Switzerland!!

10. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

no, I would not categorize this as a sample. if the neckline label was out at one point (which it does look like since that label is sewn in so poorly) some times the sizer label was under that tag, or some didn't have sizer tags. those wrap coats may have been considered one-size-fits-many, possibly, too.

but i don't see this as a sample.

it is a GREAT coat, and a FABULOUS totally 70s color. I am pretty sure Halston did fur and of course suede cloth, but I don't remember if he had a leathers line, or not. he may have.

i agree with Hollis' suggestion about the label.

but even if this isn't a Halston, it is still a wonderful, great looking coat!!!!

Su Thomas likes this.
  11. Su Thomas

Thanks for your comment! It would seem practical in a way not to have a sizer in wrap style coats. Regards the HALSTON label I will carefully remove the tailors pin and have a better look at things.

12. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

The coat looks to be genuine vintage to me, and 70's seems right judging by the colour, style and lining. The label may be original and just re-sewn on badly or alternatively not the original label, it is difficult to tell. I did find one Halston image from the 70's with a leather jacket (shorter than this one) but it was a social photo so could have been models own.

Su Thomas likes this.
  13. Su Thomas

Hi GemGem! Yep I think that we both viewed the same photo Brown/Tan jacket with model to the right ever so slightly in the background :hiya: My quest continues, watch this space.

GemGem likes this.