1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gorgeous 1920s (?) dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Dilly Day, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Dilly Day

Dilly Day Registered Guest

I recently acquired this gorgeous dress and thought others might like to see it.
    Not absolutely sure but think the fabric is silk chiffon and it drapes and swishes beautifully! Although it is very simple in style it has some lovely details. I love the flower shaped mother of pearl buttons at the waist and the tiny gathers at each shoulder.
    I put a modern slip (well 1980s, so I suppose it's vintage now!) underneath to take the photos but am not sure what would have been worn under it originally. I love to imagine someone making it and wearing it almost a hundred years ago. It is in amazing condition and could be worn today - would be fabulous for a vintage style wedding.
    Am I right in thinking it would be from the late 1920s?

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I see 1920s, it is lovely and would have had a simple styled chemise slip under it. It looks like a crepe de chine silk to me.
    A very nice acquisition!

GemGem likes this.
  3. Dilly Day

Dilly Day Registered Guest

Thank you Mary Jane. Yes, I think you are right about it being crepe de chine silk - it's heavier & more robust than chiffon would be.
    I just love it - I wasn't looking for a 1920s dress, I didn't need a 1920s dress but somehow I ended up with one! I am weak willed when it comes to pretty vintage things - I just cannot resist!

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member