1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Malia Honolulu Dress….what era

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Justine, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Justine

Justine Registered Guest

Hi, I’m new to forum and from the UK and have just decided to start buying and selling some vintage pieces. It’s all very new to me so was really happy to find this site. I bought a dress last week and completely fell in love with it, it’s a very pretty pink 120FB500-099F-454D-ADB0-9988ED42EF5A.jpeg 56B56B5D-7CB3-4C69-898F-BC926C9E16FD.jpeg 5A02759D-810E-447C-85CD-0A6F11BFD158.jpeg 0BE94384-7479-4371-B4C5-AAEBCEE5C6BD.jpeg Malia Honolulu and I’m trying to date it. It’s got a Talon zip but can’t seem to find what era it is…..any help much appreciated, have posted some pictures.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. kittenteethvintage

kittenteethvintage VFG Member

Oooh- that horse print is so lovely! I would place this dress into the 70's, could very possibly be late 60's too.

3. I agree with 70s. It's a very pretty print!

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

The Malia label was around from 1960 until the late 1980s. I agree with '70s, and think this dress may be from around 1979. (I have this Malia ad in black and white with the same silhouette on my computer. ) It may not be the same print but it looks like the same era. It is from the Wisconsin State Journal.

1979 Ad Wisconsin State Journal.jpg

We do not have information about Malia in our Label Resource. I know the company was founded by Bill and Mary Foster in 1960. Malia stopped making fashion items and switched to making uniforms in the late 1980s. Mary Foster passed away in 2015 at the age of 90.

5. Justine

Justine Registered Guest

Thanks for the information Linn, were these dresses just made in the USA do you know? If so just interesting to think how it found its way to a charity shop in the UK

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

These dresses were made in Honolulu and were sold in stores in Hawaii and throughout the US. I don't think they were distributed worldwide but I don't know that. I live in Hawaii and knew Mary Foster. Hawaii is a major tourist destination, so someone visiting from the UK could have purchased it here new - or it could have had several owners since it was first made.

If the photo was taken in your garden, Justine, your roses are lovely!

7. Justine

Justine Registered Guest

Thanks Linn, it’s my parents garden, very much an English Garden, I used it as a backdrop for some dresses I’m selling. I really love the print on this Malia dress, and it’s beautifully made and it’s good to hear the history of the brand, thanks for the information. 7B6E3951-4F85-4232-B4E2-D5D1F7770E74.jpeg