1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1950s fashion petticoats - flouncy memories recalled.

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by NylonNostalgia, Dec 4, 2021.

1. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

The truth about wearing vintage petticoats is maybe not what you think. Here, just for the fun of it, are some comments made by women who actually remember wearing those fabulously frilly, flouncy petticoats of the 1950's and early 1960's. Reading their lovely comments, it quickly becomes obvious that in order to achieve 'the look' they usually suffered for their fashion with harsh, itchy fabrics, as well as the great lengths they had to go to in order to keep their flouncy petticoats suitably stiff. So, the next time you see those old vintage 1950s photos of carefree women in wonderful flouncy petticoats, spare a thought for the hard work that went on in the background!

Read the article here.

aldgate market.jpg
    Selling flouncy petticoats at Aldgate market, London - 1950's / early 60's.

2. I remember my Mom mentioning the sugar water and stiffening. She never worn any that I remember since we lived in the county and she didn't go to many events.
    My older sister did though.

And also the "oops" of having the elastic giving out at inopportune moments.

NylonNostalgia likes this.
  3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I've heard of sugar water to stiffen things in other contexts... but can't remember what it was! My mom made me a simple one with just one layer of tulle years ago to go with some vintage or retro dresses. Even that one is scratchy when worn without pantyhose...

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

is there a way we can add this article to our lingerie resource? it seems it could be an interesting addition over there... ???

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  5. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

By all means link to it, if anyone finds it useful. Rather than manufacturer's blurb or the waffleology of 'experts', I wanted to catalogue first-hand accounts of wearing petticoats directly from the girls who wore them back in the 50s. Only that way would I get a true idea of the experience, at the time, with all the hassles and pitfalls unhidden! Some of the replies I got were priceless but sadly unprintable, lol

6. I used to wear a lot of 'full petticoats' (as we called them) in the '80s, under my authentic '50s dresses. Like some of the women commenting in that article, I liked to wear two or even three but I never sugared them: it seemed like too much trouble. I rarely washed my vintage then though, and if they were stiff and starched when I bought them, they tended to stay that way for a long while. I loved the way they felt when I walked and always generated lots of attention. The biggest drawback was that the nylon netting would nick and scratch and ladder my stockings (as others mentioned on that page) so I had to wear a nylon tricot half slip underneath to protect them. Most of my stockings had little lines of pulls around the thighs for this reason.

NylonNostalgia likes this.