1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can any 1 help me w / identifing Maureen O'hara hat towards the end of Miracle on 34th street

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Angela K Bodine, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Angela K Bodine

Angela K Bodine Registered Guest

Hello ! Hope all is well with everyone. I am new here. I am looking for anyone that can help me with Maureen O'hara one hat towards the end of 1947 Miracle on 34th street. It's the hat she is wearing when her daughter ( played by Natalie Wood) runs into a cute cape the house she asked Santa to get her. The hat looks like it's made from wool felt, lined w real fur. It's such a beautiful hay. Can anyone help ? Or lead me in the right direction? Or even better yet maybe someone could make it . Thank you all ..Angie Screenshot_20211127-084933_Google.jpg Screenshot_20211126-231128_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20211127-085244_Google.jpg

2. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

That's a very specific ask, but I can see why you are drawn to it - the pompoms are a fun touch.

I did a quick search on Etsy for "fur trim 40s hat" and there are several being offered, although no exact matches for Ms O'Hara's. VFG's own @Ranch Queen Vintage has a particularly nice one listed.
    [​IMG]

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Yes, I agree that will be a hard to find hat, as it is likely one of kind made by the costume dpt or studio head milliner to match her coat. The fur balls and trim are mouton (sheared sheep) fur if that helps at all. I love that movie!

Angela K Bodine and MagsRags like this.
  4. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

Thank you, @mags_rags!
    Angela actually found her way to the VFG forums per my suggestion after visiting my shop.

5. Rue_de_la_Paix

I have one 1940s mouton fur pom pom I could send you, but the hat looks like it has 2 or 3.

Angela K Bodine likes this.
  6. Angela K Bodine

Thank you . I saw that too. Very pretty. Thank you.

Ranch Queen Vintage likes this.
  7. Angela K Bodine

I'm actually getting one made for me. Not sure why I didn't think of a lovely woman that has made me Tam hats and Paddington style hats.. I asked her to come close as possible but instead of off white I want red . I will show pictures when I get it. I asked her to look for vintage fur not rabbit though. Thank you
    Angie

MagsRags likes this.
  8. Angela K Bodine

9. Angela K Bodine

Hi ! It's a lovely hat. I actually am getting the hat made by a lovely woman that has made me Tams and Paddington style hats. Not sure why I didn't think of her lol. I even asked for vintage real fur not rabbit though. Sheared sheep ? Are you sure ? I thought it looked like mink or beaver. I will let her know it be sheared sheep. I will show pictures when I get it. Definitely want fur pom poms. I asked for red for the main part of the hat not off white. Thank you
    Angie

10. Angela K Bodine

Thank you so very much. All on here has been a great deal of help. I actually know a lovely lady that has made me Tams and Paddington style hats. She is in Europe. Not sure why it took me so long to ask her lol. She is gonna make me the hat . I asked to her to get it close as possible. Instead of off white for the main part I would like Red. I asked for vintage fur but not rabbit. But I just found out it's Mouton sheared sheep the lining ets. So I will let her know .. I thought it was mink or beaver.. so I will let her know. Thank you so very much.. I will def share pictures when it's done
    Angie

11. Angela K Bodine

Hi ! I never heard of Mouton sheared sheep before. Thank you so very much. I actually know of a lovely woman in Europe that has made me Tams and Paddington style hats. She is gonna make me the hat . I said to come close. Instead of off w for the main part of the hat to do red. I will definitely let her know about the Mouton sheared sheep. I can't thank you enough. May I ask how much for the pom pom ?
    Angie

12. Rue_de_la_Paix

Angie,

The pom pom is free, and it is from a 1940s hat too. You can private message me here on the Forums with your address and I will send it to you. Merry Christmas!

13. Angela K Bodine

Thank you so very much . So very sweet of you . Are you sure ? Thank you. A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU .
    Angie
    Ps ..I tried to look how to message you..couldn't lol.. so I put in for your mailing info on your personal sight. I added my address to your sight

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  14. Rue_de_la_Paix

OK! I will get that in the mail within the next 1-2 days. I think I have a black fur pom pom also, not sheared mouton but similar fur.

Angela K Bodine likes this.
  15. Angela K Bodine

Thank you again . Very very sweet of you . Merry Christmas .thank you
    Angie

16. Angela K Bodine

17. Angela K Bodine

Thank you so very much for the Pom pom.. it came today .. such a lovely pom pom too.. again thank you so very much. So sweet of you. MERRY CHRISTMAS..THANK YOU
    Angie