1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 more dress, date check :-)

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jluthye, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

One more,,, I was torn between 40s 50s originally (many months ago)

Now, with a little more experience under my belt, am pretty sure 40s, but leaning towards early 40s possibly late 30s?... does that seem right to yall?

It has side ruching under the belt which is attached on an 8" strip on the back, side metal zip, rouched sleeves/shoulder to create a very subtly pouf, and it is not full at the hips.,,, there are pleats with extra fabric about 10 inches from the waist on the front a yoke skirt? And I dont know if you can tell but the lapel/collar is very wide dramatic,,, it wings out to the shoulders

Thanks
    Jennifer

2. Jennifer, I generally associate those very wide collars with the '50s. From your description, I take it that there are no labels and it's home made? Are there any shoulder pads, even little ones?

thanks -

Nicole

3. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

Okie dokie... no no shoulder pads but two snaps in the shoulders for removable pads i assume, since they are too far apart to be lingerie snaps. about 4-5 inches so wide shoulder pads

The front closes with 3 snaps as well and I took some more photos to help...

I found the label... well sort of.... this was stored separate form a matching little jacket (also pictured) but the jacket was kept on a metal hanger (or maybe wood without a lining)I cant remember) but there was a chemical reaction and ate the shoulders away on it, that why I didn't picture it, but... when I started looking i remembered this is the one the label disintegrated out of in my hands :-(...... there edges are still in the collar of the jacket and I salvaged the label by taping the 6-7 pieces together on paper and the edges match the jacket so at least its there... But I am keeping the label for obvious reasons ,... it is an Eisenberg and Sons label. a Suwanee Ensemble.......

There is one in the Label resource however you can not see the detail and there is no date cited.... look at the label carefully, it is an African American woman with a basket full of cotton on her head and "pickers" in the field..... I think its a neat piece of history,,, regardless of how you look at slavery, it is awesome to see a well known company use this as their image.. I don't see it as derogatory but more respectful/praising to say this is a nice garment.

4. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

i have to say i'm getting more of a 40s vibe from it. i love that plaid, too!

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

6. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Eisenberg & Sons stopped producing fashions in 1958 apparently. I'd like to see the button closure. Is it mother of pearl? There are some 40's features but that big shawl collar and the tie at the waist? I'm a bit confused as to the collar on the jacket. Did/does it have a shawl collar too?

7. Jluthye

Jluthye Registered Guest

no no collar on the jacket at all.....not sure the button is thin and shell like...if i remeber correctly I will check in an hour or so and add a closeup.... its a shame the jacket is damaged. perhaps someone could replace the shoulders?

and im glad Im not the only one confused lol!

8. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest