1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1880s bustle gown?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by blubirdboutique, Dec 4, 2019.

1. blubirdboutique

blubirdboutique Registered Guest

Tried researching this one a bit - just coming up with 1880s. Am I close? I'm guessing perhaps there was something at one point to make the bustle more full? It seems deflated. Also, the pointy front and back of the bodice seems off? Thank you as always!

blue1.jpg blue2.jpg blue3.jpg blue4.jpg blue5.jpg blue6.jpg blue7.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I would have to handle it to be more specific, but I think early 80s 1881-83. If it were earlier, the bodice would be cut longer in the back, and if newer, the bodice would be cut shorter in the back. Hollis might weigh in on this... It was probably a wedding dress, blue was the second colour choice of most brides in the 19th century -- more practical.

blubirdboutique and Vinclothes like this.
  3. blubirdboutique

Thank you Jonathan! I didn't realize blue was a choice for wedding gowns. Love it.

4. Marzilli_Vintage

Marzilli_Vintage VFG Member

Great color!

blubirdboutique likes this.
  5. blubirdboutique

Oh wow! That's really something! Can't imagine wearing that around all day!

6. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I think Jonathan's right with very early 1880s. The 3/4 sleeve and that little pocket on the side of the bodice are something I associate with earlier 1880s as well. And yes, Linda is on it. A wire bustle frame for lift, although not at the most extreme shelf projection of the later 1880s.

Jonathan and blubirdboutique like this.
  7. blubirdboutique

Thank you! I prefer the look of the less extreme shelf myself! :)