1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

18th Century Stays

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Better Dresses Vintage, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Hi -

I'm looking to buy a reasonably authentic repro 18th century (Colonial/Georgian) corset.

If you have one for sale, or make (or know someone who makes) these stays, please contact me privately (no links on thread, please, per VFG rules).

Not looking to spend a fortune, so less expensive is better than more expensive.

Of course if you have real ones that you'd like to part with for a song, I'm happy to take them off your hands ; ).

Thank you.

18thCentStays1.jpeg 18thcentstays3.jpg 18thCentStays4.jpg 18thCenturyStays-Bk.jpg 18thCenturyStays2.jpg

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Have sent you a PM Liza.

3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

If you are looking for a pattern, I believe there is one in Corsets and Crinolines, if you can find a copy. Also James Townsend and Son carries a pattern online for $16. They also sell simple canvas stays for $120, and that's not bad for the labor. The ones you show in the photos would cost more to have made.

5. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

I totally agree with Hollis Liza,

Just buy a corset, its not worth trying t0 get anything made, just buy outright from James Townsend and Son and $120 is great for a corset, even a simple one , or etsy is full of these as well hello kitty emoti sewingmachineemoti

6. I have a pattern for one of these in my favourite costume book, "The Evolution of Fashion" by Hill and Bucknell. Actually, this book is really great, it's full of historical patterns and almost all of my costumes were drafted from this book. It's easy to follow too.

7. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

http://www.amazondrygoods.com
    This wonderful company has patterns and made up corsets for sale. Also shoes and boots in your size, historic patterns and much much more.
    Marian