1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1920s shoes - or are they?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Dilly Day, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Dilly Day

Dilly Day Registered Guest

Hi all,
    I bought these shoes on ebay a while ago - they were sold as 1920s but seem in such good condition that I'm not so sure. They are made from a black satin fabric. I have attached photos and am interested to know what others think. I would be grateful for any opinions or suggestions.

Attached Files:

GemGem likes this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

The fabric looks like peau de soie to me. They are a really nice looking shoe. Our resident shoe expert should be along.

3. Dilly Day

Dilly Day Registered Guest

Thank you once again! I knew satin wasn't quite the right description for the fabric - it has a very slight slub/textured appearance. I imagine it would be a man made material rather than actual silk as they were made by Freeman, Hardy & Willis (FHW stamped on sole) so don't think they would have been a terribly expensive shoe.
    This evening I found an almost identical pair (also FHW) on Etsy except they had black soles. It was the pale colour and very good condition of the soles on my pair that made me doubt that they were from the 1920s.

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

The constuction, including the bound edges, the backing of the fabric and the finishing of the button hole, as well as the shape of the toe look good for 1920s to me.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Good example of everyday shoes for dressy occasion. That heel shape and toe shape were around from 1925 to 1933, so its somewhere in there.