1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1940s 50s Gown - Sari?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by DaisyandStella, Nov 14, 2014.

1. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

Hi again!
    I have this gorgeous silk evening dress with a draped wrap skirt and draped shoulder straps.
    It has a side metal talon zipper and appears to be homemade with pinked inner seams.
    I am wondering if this could be considered a sari? The silk is so vibrant.
    Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Brooke

Attached Files:

2. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

It's not a sari. A sari is one long piece of fabric about 6 yards long, which is wrapped around the body in a particular way, around the waist, then folded into pleats at the front, then over the shoulder. It is worn over a separate bodice (called a choli).

ETA: Amazing colours. I can see why it made you think of saris.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
    DaisyandStella likes this.
  3. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Can you show the zip please? as something about it is just making me wonder if it was made later than that for costume, something about the colour combination and design of the drape. The brocade is also a very large pattern for the garment. Can you describe the two fabric weights please?

4. DaisyandStella

DaisyandStella VFG Member

Hi Melanie the silks are very light weight. It's a small zip pic below. I'm listing this morning before I leave for Austin, TX but definitely appreciate any more input. Just took these and the coloring is definitely off!

Attached Files:

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

You could say it was a design inspired by a sari, but definitely not a sari. Beautiful though. Not sure if it was intended to be a costume, it is unusual though :wacko:. The shape in general made me think it's more 40s.

6. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Thanks, the zipper is an earlier sort so that's more reassuring.