1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1940s? 50s? pin up poster “Furthering American Good living” need help dating

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by annieelizabeth27, Jun 3, 2023.

1. annieelizabeth27

annieelizabeth27 Registered Guest

Does anyone know what year this poster is from or what the poster is promoting? If anyone could provide me with details I would be ecstatic! I love this poster so much and purchased it from an estate sale of a vintage collector, I would love to know more information on it. Thanks so much in advance!

Attached Files:

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I am awaiting a fix for my inability to access my research databases, but until that happens I saw four references to "Furthering American good living" in four newspaper articles, all from 1945. I will post anything else I find once I can access the databases again.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  3. annieelizabeth27

Oh thank you so much! You are so helpful. I really appreciate it!!

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I finally got access to the databases again this morning and did some poking around for an answer to your question. While I did not see your exact ad image, I saw a great many references to "American good living" and a few to "furthering American good living." The bulk of the references were from about 1944-1945 and seem to be part of a patriotic (war-related) program, to comfort, encourage, and reassure the public that American industry was working hard to "give all Americans a chance to enjoy the basic necessities of American good living."

I opened about 35-40 articles and ads with relevant, albeit brief, references to "American good living" then interrupted that to go to dinner. When I returned, I saw that all the ads, etc. I left open were gone, likely from a brief power outage. I honestly don't have the heart or the time to dig for them again, so I will cull a few, to show you examples of the "American good living" theme. These are posted for educational purposes only, so because of copyright protection, do not reproduce these anywhere else.

From 1943...
    AllisChalmersContributesToGoodLiving1943.jpg
    AllisChalmersFurthersAmericanGoodLiving1943.jpg

From 1944...
    AllisChalmersProductsThatFurtherGoodLiving1944.jpg

From 1945...
    AllisChalmersAmericanGoodLiving1945.jpg

From 1947...
    LandOfPlenty1947Ad.jpg

AmericasGreatestNeedClip1947.jpg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  5. annieelizabeth27

Thank you so much for your efforts and providing this information to me. That is so sweet of you to do. All of this information is really helpful and I love learning about the history of things that I find. You are awesome!! Thanks so much again!!