1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1940s Dresses Mildew Is there any hope?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Chelsea, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Chelsea

Chelsea Registered Guest

Hi this is my first post here! I was wondering if anyone had some advise, I have some black 1940s rayon dresses with mildew on them. I was told the only way to remove mildew is bleach. Has anyone had any success removing mildew from rayon? Is there another way to go about this or should I just consider them trashed? The rayon is the stiffer version not crepe.

Look forward to your replies!

-Chelsea

2. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Vinegar can remove mildew. Not sure what you mean by stiff rayon. Can you post a photo?

3. Chelsea

Chelsea Registered Guest

Does the vinegar actually kill the mildew or just mask the smell? I just meant it's not a silky rayon. I've attached some photos.
    thanks for responding and so quickly!

-Chelsea

Attached Files:

4. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

They appear to be rayon crepe, which will shrink badly if submerged in water.
    Diluted Distilled vinegar actually does kill mildew. You might try spritzing and hanging in the sun. I would certainly test an inconspicuous area first.

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I don't know if it actually "kills" mildew but I have had some luck getting what looks like mildew - whitish marks - off rayon crepe with a slightly damp wrung out washcloth. Your dress looks like rayon crepe in the photo.

6. Chelsea

Chelsea Registered Guest

Rayon confuses me, I usually stick to cotton! Do you know of a good resource on rayon fabric, so I can learn the different kinds? I'm going to try the vinegar spritz and I'll report back!

Thanks for the info!

-Chelsea

7. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

I've had success cleaning mildew-spotted rayon crepe just like this by dry cleaning with mineral spirit. It's available at the hardware store (it's paint remover) Soak a rag with the spirit, then rub the affected area. It's stinky and flammable, so take precautions. But it works.

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Like Linn mentioned, I've had some luck too with a wrung out washcloth and rubbing on the mildewed areas and then leaving it out on the line to dry in the sun. The spots don't come back usually...although I have had some items which were much worse and that did not help.
    I would then try to wash them and hope for the best (depending on fabric - shrinkage did sometimes occur) but again depending on fabric some were saved.

9. Yes my advise is direct sunlight. I have taken my rayons to a dry cleaner that cleans in petroleum and they got it out of my 30s and 40s rayon. So with that said, I think the mineral spirit is a fab idea and I am going to have to remember that!!!

10. Chelsea

Chelsea Registered Guest

Thanks again for all the ideas! I had success with a 30 minute diluted bleach and soap soak on one of the most dingy looking dresses. It's not perfect but it does not smell or have spots anymore. I'm going to experiment and try your suggestions for the rest, I still have about 9 to go.

11. What ever you do, DON'T soak those dresses. Rayon crepe will shrink immediately right before your very eyes!! Many of the spot cleaning/spritzing methods offered sound good. Just avoid soaking or they will be ruined.

12. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I would be very careful with bleach, too - even diluted.

13. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

I have had great luck just using Dryel or Dry Cleaner's Secret on dresses with mildew. If the the mildew has already penetrated and discolored the fabric, it won't work, but I think the combination of the cleaning solution that's in the cloth and the dry heat to remove the excess dampness in the garment is what does the trick.

If you have actual black mold on a dress, bleach is the only thing that will kill it. But "plain old mildew" is a different animal than true black mold.

14. I, too, would be very wary of using bleach at any dilution. You don't want to end up with lighter patches in your black dress.

15. poppysvintageclothing

I just wanted to add that I recently tried applying some Folex onto a black acetate lining of a gabardine coat and it worked very well, it took the white mildew stains out. I used a cloth dampened with the Folex and wiped the stains. When I mentioned above that I would wash a garment with mildew stains I would only try that as an absolute last cause, unless I knew for certain it was a fabric that would not shrink.

16. MyVintageCocktail

Mary Jane, that is very good to know, as I have a black gabardine coat with acetate lining, and white mildew spots. I haven't tried the Dryel yet on it, but it's a very full coat and I'm not sure the Dryel would work well on such a large expanse of fabric. Am out of Folex, but need to pick some up soon, anyway.

17. poppysvintageclothing

Is the mildew on yours only on the lining as well, Anne?

18. MyVintageCocktail

There is some on the outside, but it is light and powdery, and I was able to brush most of that off--I think a quick swipe with the Folex or even some alcohol will fetch up the rest of it. But the lining is worse, for sure. Did the shell on yours have any?

19. jauntyrooster

jauntyrooster Alumni

Have had very good luck with mildew removal using a product called Earthenair Stain and Odor Remover. I just do a wipe down with a clean cloth as suggested above. I generally dry clean after using this product. It has a lemony scent but it can be a little overpowering and the dry cleaning helps neutralize.

It is the 2nd item down if you follow this link:

http://www.earthenair.com/earthenair_products.htm

(hope okay to post this link)

I have also had very good luck with odor removal with this product - it is hit or miss with old stains but have done some amazing odor removal. It seems to actually remove the odor instead of mask it.

20. MyVintageCocktail

Aack! I just went to check out that earthenair product, but it's no longer available! I'm thinking, though, that there might be something similar out there, even possibly in the pet store (as they have all sorts of cleaning & deodorizing compounds for "organic" soils).... Thanks for the link, Maureen; at least it has me thinking of what to try if Folex doesn't work....