1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1940s or 1950s Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Attirelyvintage, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Attirelyvintage

Attirelyvintage Registered Guest

Hello,

I recently found this lovely Silky Acetate dress and she needed some fixing up but I just wondered if she was from the late 1940s or 1950s. The zipper is by Lightning and is metal set on the side seam. The neckline is fantastic with a pleated insert and high collar. The sleeves are 3/4 length with a circle pleated cuff. The skirt is also a circle with a box pleat in the front and a bit of gather into the waistline.
    Does anyone know what colour this would have been called at the time. It's a deep purple with some pink iridecent tones.

Thank you I appreciate you knowledge!

Attached Files:

2. wyogems

wyogems VFG Member

It looks older than 40s to me. Maybe 30s. The lightning zipper company is pretty old, used in boots and such even in the late 1910s not sure about clothing. I think you would be safe with 40s though

Attirelyvintage likes this.
  3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a real beauty and you are right, a great color, It reminds me of aubergine (my favorite color). The fabric looks like an acetate or acetate/rayon blend taffeta. It looks like it has an ombre' or changeable effect to the weave which makes it appear to change color as the direction of the light moves over the fabric. Very nice.

While it might be hard to pin down an exact year, what I see is very late 1940s to very early 1950s on this dress.

Attirelyvintage likes this.
  4. Attirelyvintage

Attirelyvintage Registered Guest

Thank you all for your replies.