1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1940s or 1950s - help dating a Paul Sachs dress and jacket set

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Jennifer Kietzman, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Jennifer Kietzman

Jennifer Kietzman Registered Guest

Hiya!

I'm hoping someone might have a gut feeling as to the date of this set. I suspect it's from the early 50s, but the hang tag, with which the set came to me, includes a copyright date of 1942. I suspect the copyright date is for the Paul Sachs label itself and not the dress, but I was hoping to confirm that. I think the sheath dress/short jackets is a fixture of the early 50s.

Many thanks for your time!
    sachs set 1.jpg sachs set 5.jpg

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Nice set, Jennifer. Do you have pics of the labels you can post please?

My first thought before scrolling down to see the skirt length was that the dress was something Peggy Olson might wear in the first season of Mad Men, and the low back puts it into the late '50s for me, as does the nice big collar.

I agree that 1942 is likely to be the date that the label obtained a copyright, not any particular fashion design.

Jennifer Kietzman likes this.
  3. Jennifer Kietzman

Jennifer Kietzman Registered Guest

Hi Nicole!

Thanks for your reply, and I'm happy to learn that an open back and big collar signifies late 50s. I had no idea! I've attached pictures of the label and hang tag (front and back).

Thanks again!

Attached Files: