1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1940s travelling fashion dolls

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by Robin of Frocksley, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Robin of Frocksley

Robin of Frocksley Registered Guest

Hi all!

I just learned about this and thought you all might enjoy it. Post-WWII fashion designers created miniature versions of their latest designs and sent them on the road in a travelling fashion doll show. It was called Le Theatre de la Mode.
    From what I can tell, copies of the original dolls are now kept at the Maryhill museum of art in Washington.

Here is a link to a short blog post with some pictures of the dolls: https://www.thecuttingclass.com/theatre-de-la-mode/

2. Oh how fascinating! I would love to see these in person.
    Years ago the Valentine Museum in Richmond VA, had the earlier ones from the Victorian era on display.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the Théâtre de la Mode is legendary!

Robert Tonner reproduced some of the outfits on his 16" Tyler Wentworth dolls - most of those which are shown at the top of this blog actually. I have "Longchamp Fleuri" which is based on the Jacques Fath design for the grey suit with purple blouse and large hat.
    See also here: https://thebolddoll.com/vintage/theatre-de-la-mode/

4. Robin of Frocksley

Karin, love that link! I am dying over the tiny wigs and shoes now!!

5. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    gatco and Robin of Frocksley like this.
  6. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

I have been to the Mary Hill Museum twice - it is just across the Columbia River, which is the state line for Oregon on its north and Washington on its south. It is a day trip from Portland or from Hood River. The museum rotates parts of their collection in and out of view, so you don't necessarily see the same thing twice. The museum also has some Rodin pieces, and a short distance away, a full scale replica of Stonehenge, overlooking the Columbia.
    Well worth some effort to get to!

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  7. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Aren't they wonderful?! I am absolutely entranced by these dolls, and have spent hours in their presence at Maryhill, and took a lot of photos. (As a matter of fact, I see some of my photos in your blog! They have gotten around the web.)

I really had my heart in this subject!
    My Visit to the Théâtre de la Mode
    The Dolls
    The Sets
    The Fashion Designers
    Down to the Tiniest Details
    Loss & Rebirth—Again
    Seeing the Exhibit at Maryhill

I later revisited and saw a few other sets—
    La Grotte Enchantée
    Le Jardin Marveilleux

8. Robin of Frocksley

Denise, your posts and pictures are wonderful! The blog I linked to is not mine, it's just where I stumbled on the dolls. I hope the author got permission from you to use your (excellent) photos..

9. denisebrain

I'm sorry, I presumed wrongly that the blog was yours. If ever they are needed, I really am fine with my photos being used, when credited.

Thank you very much for having a look at my posts!

Robin of Frocksley likes this.
  10. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I have seen this exhibit. The story of the owner of the mansion, other exhibits, and the nearby replica of Stonehenge are memorable.
    Marian

11. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Indeed. It was rumored in the 1920s that he was the original "What in the Sam Hill?" but as it turns out, the phrase predated him. Like by nearly a century.
    :hysterical:

12. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

I saw a few (8 I think) of these at the Victoria and Albert Museum about 8 years ago during the Golden Age of Couture exhibit. They are truly stunning and I remember wishing, just for a minute, that I was 12 inches tall and could wear these outfits. The detail and absolute exquiste-ness was breathtaking.

denisebrain likes this.
  13. denisebrain

One of the interesting things about seeing these dolls at Maryhill is that, because it is a rather remote location with fewer visitors, you may find yourself in a room alone with the dolls. Or are you alone? This is one of the pics I took—it's both a tiny bit eerie, and extremely powerful.

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 12.59.24 PM.png

Vintagiality, MagsRags and nsweezie like this.
  14. nsweezie

nsweezie Registered Guest

They are strangely human- I think it’s a combination of the poses and the backgrounds.
    Overall, they are a wonderful work of art- all the more impressive when you consider what France was like at the time-recovering from a devestating war.

denisebrain likes this.
  15. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member