1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1950s dress? Dating, fabric and cleaning help

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by plousia, Jun 1, 2023.

1. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Handmade, no serging, full back metal Talon zipper, self-waist tie. A really cool and unique peachy-pinky jacquard-type fabric, somewhat shiny, seems synthetic?

Sadly much too small for me, bust 34", waist 26".

Am I right in thinking this is 1950s? How might I go about cleaning this without wrecking it?

Attached Files:

2. Hi Plousia, this looks to be a late '50s to early '60s party dress. The fabric is likely a rayon jacquard, although something about it (the lightness? the self tie lacking buckle?) seems a bit modern but the metal zipper is of the time so let's go with that.

You mention that it feels synthetic: if it is polyester, it could be '80s. You could always burn test to be sure, as polyester can probably go in the machine.

If it's a '50s-90s rayon, it's a a dry-clean only fabric but its crushed appearance suggest it might have been laundered before. So you're probably safe to hand wash with mild-detergent, warm water and dry in the shade. For better results though, and hopefully return some of its crispness, dry clean.

3. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Lovely, thanks very much. I am wondering if there was a belt buckle and it's missing? I said it was a waist tie but the length and one pointed end seem to indicate belt. There are no belt loops though.

Thanks much for the cleaning tips! I will see how much dry cleaning will cost.

4. Elle Miles

Elle Miles Registered Guest

For my vintage dresses (3-year collector) I physically hand-wash my clothing using Woolite and soak them in a basin for 15-20 minutes based on soil level. Saves tons of money on dry cleaning

5. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Thanks, after checking into drycleaning prices I think I will try this. I believe I've read elsewhere on this forum you can add hair conditioner to prevent the fabric from shrinking. I will have to try to sell this as it sadly doesn't fit me, so not sure investing in dry cleaning is worth it. It doesn't seem to be too grungy, just has a very faint orangish stain on one shoulder that probably won't come out, I'm thinking.

By the way, another question for anyone who might want to take a stab at it: the jacquard pattern of this fabric is really unusual in that funky 50s novelty sort of way. It has what appear to be heraldic lions, hieroglyphs, shield-shaped designs, and other assorted bits and pieces. Does anyone think that could be described as a "novelty jacquard pattern"?

6. I advise caution, Plousia, if it is 1950s rayon because the old recipe rayon is vulnerable to laundering and soaking, which weakens the fibres and they can shrink or rip. If it's more modern though, you should be fine as they changed the rayon recipe in the '50s and modern rayons are more robust.

7. plousia

plousia Registered Guest

Ah ok thanks, that's put me back in the dry cleaning camp, I am certain this dress is 50s so won't risk soaking it if it might damage it.