1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1950s Garfinckel's Taffeta Dress Cleaning

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Slimewarp, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Slimewarp

Slimewarp Registered Guest

DSC_0485.jpg Hi friends. I found this dress at an estate sale for a few dollars last weekend, and i am hoping for any tips on cleaning and care. I am not sure of the fiber content, as there aren't any labels. It feels like taffeta, very crispy and kind of shiny. I think it is synthetic, i have not done a burn test yet. The fabric is super tightly woven and i can barely see the ribs, but i think they are diagonal.
    -Bodice has boning inside
    -side metal zipper
    -2 layers of mesh, a layer of the black taffeta fabric, and a bottom layer of some kind of stiff-ish muslin or interfacing fabric.
    -bow on the dropped waist with red flower (damaged)
    -stitching pulls on the back bodice seams

Would you consider this a mermaid style cut? I love the asymmetrical neckline, and the pleats on the one sid of the bust.

Do you agree that it is 1950s? The label matches the one in the LR.

I have tested spot cleaning some dried surface dirt/dust, using just purified water on a microfiber cloth. Seems to be okay so far. Can I steam this to get out the wrinkles and reshape the cups?

Sorry, lots of info and questions!!
    DSC_0510.jpg DSC_0497.jpg DSC_0520.jpg DSC_0486.jpg DSC_0522.jpg DSC_0506.jpg DSC_0489.jpg DSC_0487.jpg DSC_0516.jpg DSC_0485.jpg DSC_0527.jpg DSC_0526.jpg DSC_0524.jpg DSC_0485.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I would steam this from the inside out. It is stunning! I can't help but think of my Barbie doll outfit Solo in the Spotlight, that dress didn't have the great asymmetrical bodice though. I do see it as 1950s.

Fabulous find!!!

3. Slimewarp

Thank you!

4. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

What an amazing dress! I've had a few pieces from this shop and they have been very high quality and stylish. You must have done a dance when you found this.

Slimewarp likes this.
  5. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

Garfinckles had a custom salon and bought couture dresses to copy. C

Slimewarp likes this.
  6. Great find and MJ is so right.....my first thought was my Barbie outfit, Solo in the Spotlight! I think I still have it somewhere!

Slimewarp likes this.
  7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

8. Slimewarp

It is SO Solo in the Spotlight!! I knew I remembered seeing a similar one in my old Barbie book, but I couldn't remember the name!

9. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

Beautiful dress. I had the same Barbie dress - came with long black gloves I believe and little black springolator type shoes.

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

and the tall stand microphone and a pink chiffon handkerchief!!!!

11. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

12. Oh, yes, those silvery glass beads and black open toe pumps!

13. Slimewarp

I think I have a buyer lined up for it, but if not, i might have to sell it as a high end Halloween costume!!