1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1950s Jonathan logan dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by LousyLoversVintage, Jul 21, 2022.

1. LousyLoversVintage

LousyLoversVintage Registered Guest

Hello everyone, haven't been on here in weeks!

But here is a little something I had stored away and finally brought it out.

I need help with advice on how to clean this beautiful dress by Jonathan logan

It has alot of dirt in the pile and areas that have transfered dirt from the buttons or maybe it was rust ? On to the fabric.
    The buttons are either very dirty or the fabric has worn away.

How can I clean this without ruining the pile?
    I've done a few spot treatments on very dirty spots it kind of worked i just wish I could soak it! But I don't think I'm supposed to.

Any help and advice would be great!

Now I'm not sure if this is velvet or velveteen. The wrong side of the fabric is matte and no lining what do you think?

20220721_122447.jpg 20220721_122459.jpg 20220721_122854.jpg 20220721_123023.jpg 20220721_123118.jpg IMG_20220721_124445_986.jpg

Lady Scarletts and Nostalgia like this.
  2. Distantdetails

Distantdetails Administrator

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Very pretty! My initial reaction is probably velveteen - have you looked at the Fabric Resource entry for velveteen? The resource photo is a bit confusing to me, but this resonates - cotton, short dense pile, and related to corduroy.

Re: the buttons, I can't tell for sure from a distance, but it looks like the pile is worn along the edges, plus a bit dirty.

LousyLoversVintage likes this.
  4. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I think the buttons are goners. Since they are an important part of the style, you may be able to find enough fabric under the hem (then reface the hem) to have new covered buttons made. After the buttons are temporarily removed, dry cleaning should work well for the dress itself. You will have to decide if this would be cost (and time) effective. Good luck. Pretty dress in a hot color.
    Marian

LousyLoversVintage and MagsRags like this.
  5. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with Marian, the dress would need to be dry cleaned instead of washed, and the buttons are probably not going to be salvageable. If it were mine, I'd come up with some contemporary buttons (that don't scream modern) in the exact same red. I agree with Maggie that it is most likely either velveteen or cotton velvet.

It's a fabulous dress!

6. LousyLoversVintage

LousyLoversVintage Registered Guest

Im positive now that its Velveteen, i did a crazy thing and did a quick mild soak. And it was absolutely fine, got rid of all the dirt too but the buttons will need replacing, which i am trying to find some as of now. They dont sell them in craft stores here, in the desert

Thanks for all the help!

7. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

good to hear that it washed out for you well!

you may have luck buying buttons online.

8. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

We have at least two knowledgeable VFG members that specialize in buttons and sewing notions.
    Marian

LousyLoversVintage and MagsRags like this.