1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1950s knitting pattern with unusual style...

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Most Wanted - Looking for something?' started by Jonathan, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

One of our museum's members is looking for this pattern - she wants to knit it, and can't find it anywhere:
    271656216_498670008451273_309580450307491938_n.png 271763618_3115665192008858_6644198938179354117_n.png

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

They are fab! I can see both of them on Etsy (just search with Sirdar + pattern number), but only as digital downloads.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

That might do it for her... I will let her know. Thanks Karin.

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

She apparently has someone in India who will knit it for her.... she is grateful, thanks.

6. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Thanks for the link - that's amazing - I had never seen this pattern before, and yet it seems to be very popular.

amandainvermont and Retro Ruth like this.
  8. Retro Ruth

You are welcome. You'd be amazed by how much is on ravelry! The other pattern is on there too, but hardly anyone seems to have knit it. https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pullover-56

I happened across another 50s pattern using similar construction, but with less detailed patterning. Same inverted V-waist seam, then the sleeves worked all the way to a central seam. So I guess it was a 'thing' for a little while, in the 50s. I can't remember where I saw that pattern now, or I'd show you!

Vintagiality likes this.
  9. Retro Ruth

Oh I remembered, and actually it's much older, 1936. It's called: A Modernist Sweater

But the construction is very similar as the two above. Not something I've seen before.
    [​IMG]

Now I want to knit one...

10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member