1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1950's Pierre Balmain Dress - Dating/Reference Image SOS

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by EvolutionVtg, Sep 23, 2018.

1. EvolutionVtg

EvolutionVtg Registered Guest

Hello! I have a gorgeous 1950's Pierre Balmain Black Dress and I wonder if anyone here could help me pin point the collection, season, and/or year? I am also looking for a reference image. If anyone has a resources for images from his 1950's shows/ad/fashion magazine editorial I would love access it! IMG_0043.JPG IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0063.JPG IMG_0064.JPG IMG_0070.JPG IMG_0074.JPG

Based on my research I am guessing the dress is 1955 or earlier. I welcome all expertise and assistance.

Thank you!!

2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I'm no help except to say it's gorgeous!

3. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

How absolutely stunning! May need a few minutes to regain composure.

Edit: I'm sure a gown of this stature will be identified and dated correctly by the experts.

I just found a little info online I thought I would share in the meantime as I noticed the Label had Paris & New York...

"As early as 1949 Balmain opened a boutique in New York and two years later, in 1951, he set up a company in the city in order to have ready-to-wear collections"

From this link.
    https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/education/pierre-balmain-1914-1982

I also spoke with my other who was a model in the 50's-60's and she said the Lattice work to the body made her think it was either right at the end of the 40's or beginning of the 50's. Nothing exact here but wanted to chime in incase it helped at all.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

I can't seem to access them now, but the archives of L'Officiel would help. Search "L'Officiel archives" and you will get some results.

northstarvintage likes this.