1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1959 Fashion - for Barbies

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, Dec 5, 2017.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I'm sure Karin has seen this, but it was new to me. All Barbie’s first year fashions displayed on No. 1 Barbie dolls. A 1959 Salesman’s Sample Case, the only one known to exist.

samplecase.jpg

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What fun! I had a few of these outfits, wish i till did.

3. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

At my grandmother's service we displayed my aunt's Barbies. My grandmother made their wardrobe from scrap fabric, recreated from fashion magazine designs. They were better dressed than US!! This would have been 1960... around.

5. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for posting! I think I've seen this somewhere before, but it's a long time that Barbie Bazaar magazine was around - I'm sure I saw it in that. Those early fashions were so fabulously well made and detailed! I don't have any of these particular fashions in my collection. I never spent a lot of money on vintage fashions, but often pieced things together or bought separates. I have a later version of the red twin set and grey skirt - twin set and skirt all in pink. Those little knit tops and cardigans are just fab - they look so real! My avatar here is wearing a mid-60s knit sweater and pants combo - another fave of mine.