1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1960s/70s Pierre Cardin made in Germany?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Joji Furukawa, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Joji Furukawa

Joji Furukawa Registered Guest

This Pierre Cardin shift dress and jacket ensemble just arrived in the mail and I’m curious about the labels. There’s the Pierre Cardin label at the neck but inside there’s also a German pure new wool label with care instructions. Was this set made in Germany and based on the care instructions is it possible to narrow down the date a bit more? The finishing and workmanship is excellent inside, not a single loose thread and the stitches are all neat and tidy.

Attached Files:

2. dollsntrolls

dollsntrolls VFG Member

I don't know where they were manufactured, but this looks like the airline uniforms he designed in the 60s!

(Or, at least, inspired by them - as they were instrumental in popularizing mini-dresses.)

Vintagiality likes this.
  3. Joji Furukawa

It does have a sort of uniform look to it!

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

Let me share with you my rabbit hole when looking into Pierre Cardin uniforms of the 1960s... First this link to Olympic Airlines uniforms. The color seems similar. And then there's this Lufthansa uniforms photo where I first went, reluctantly, because of the German wool tag which really means, to me, it might've been made for the European market or something.

Olympic Airlines

Joji Furukawa and dollsntrolls like this.
  5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

6. Joji Furukawa

It definitely has the same sort of look. There’s currently a yellow one listed for sale as well, but just the jacket part.

dollsntrolls likes this.