1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1960s or early 70s on this acrylic dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Jul 13, 2017.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Hi Everyone,
    Am I looking at late 60s ?
    Also, I'm not sure if this would be considered a scooter dress technically? Oh, and I can't recall the term for that type of collar!
    Thanks for any help
    Lauren

Attached Files:

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

Very cute dress, I would date it to about 1967. Nehru collar.

3. That's really cute!
    IMHO, it's not a scooter dress unless there is a division between the legs (like skorts). At least that was what my friends and I called scooters "back in the day". It seems to be a matter for some debate, however. Maybe there were regional differences in how the term was used. I do believe many others believe the scooter dress doesn't need to have the skort-like lower half, just a short, multi-pleated attached skirt.
    Using either definition of scooter dress, I don't believe your dress falls in the category.
    On a similar subject, "culottes" and "skorts" were terms strictly used by us for garments that didn't cover the top half of the body, too. Culottes were long shorts that greatly flared. Skorts were generally shorter than culottes and were shorts that were made to appear like a skirt.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  4. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Thanks!
    Donna, so would you call this one a scooter?

Attached Files:

5. Cute dress! I agree that scooter dresses have shorts built in.

6. With the multiple pleats, that one DOES fall into the scooter category, according to many opinions. For me, however, it must also have a division between the legs (which can't be seen in that photo).