1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1960's Pierre Cardin Car Wash Dress Information

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by wrenapparel, Jun 5, 2020.

1. wrenapparel

wrenapparel Registered Guest

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here. I see many knowledgable people on here so I am hoping for some help with this wonderful dress I am getting ready to part with. From my research I believe it to be a 60's wool crepe car wash dress. I see other car wash dresses as having loops and not just straight fringe though. Is this still considered a car wash dress? Are there any other keywords that would be helpful? Any help would be greatly appreciated! IMG_9068.JPG IMG_9070.JPG

Attached Files:

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

I hope some of our members with knowledge of 60s designers will pitch in. That is a cool piece!

I'm curious about the bar code - was this from a museum deaccession?

Thank you for sharing!

3. wrenapparel

Thank you! I don't know about the bar code. I have seen other garments have this from the dry cleaners but I really don't know. I thought about trying to peel it off but was afraid to harm the label.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

What a lovely dress. THIS Doyle auction was for a Pierre Cardin dress with self-fabric loops and they call it a car wash dress.

I would leave the bar code alone, as it is part of the history of the dress.

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  5. wrenapparel

Thank you, Lynne!

6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I am sorry I apparently misunderstood your question (I tend to skim over words when I read too quickly). I thought you were asking if loops mean the dress can still be called car wash dresses. I realize now that your dress has fringe, which looks even more to me like car wash flaps than the loops do. I will look for dresses with the fringe and confirm they are called car wash dresses, too.

7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I have seen these referred to as car wash hems for over 40 years now, so yes, seems the correct term to me.

8. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

The bar code is not a museum accession number. They are sometimes on a cloth tape and sewn in or on paper tag with a string and pinned in.

I've not seen the barcode before; the dry cleaning tag sounds logical. Another possibility is that it was sold at a thrift or resale shop and this is the way it was marked.