1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1970ish blanket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Ghrobar, Aug 29, 2022.

1. Ghrobar

Ghrobar Registered Guest

Hi all. I'm searching for a turquoise blanket with light blue silk border.. the pics don't show all the fuzzies all over blanket.. the said blanket is in tatters from my picking the fuzzies off. Relieved blanket in the 70s from my mom who is not with me anymore.so no idea where she got it. This blanket seen me through my life..it took a beating during burning myself and it went through a parents divorce. This blanket is important to me still..so I have searched for years to find a blanket like my own..I have only seen 1 other when I was a kid.. any help with finding this blanket would be great...any other questions on bases I did not touch ask away...thank you

Attached Files:

2. Ghrobar

Ghrobar Registered Guest

Is there any other places I can ask?

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Hi Ghrobar,
    It sounds like this blanket has given you a lot of comfort over the years. I remember my daughter was given a blanket crocheted by her grandmother when she was an infant. She loved that blanket!! What appealed to her about it (I think) was that the weave was loose enough that she could entwine her tiny fingers into the soft crochet and hold it to her face while she fell asleep. It eventually developed major holes, and another relative with crochet skills made a duplicate for her so we could retire the original.

It will probably be difficult to find an exact duplicate for your blanket. Even if you found a brand new version of your blanket, it would look and feel very different, because it wouldn't have the "patina" yours has acquired during its life with you. Your best bet is to think about the qualities are most important to you in a new blanket and search based on that with an open mind, knowing a replacement will need some breaking in.

It looks to me like an important quality might be "loose weave". I did a quick search on Etsy for "loose weave vintage blanket" and came across a couple that looked like they might break in to what you are looking for.

I hope this helps, and good luck.

Ghrobar and Retro Ruth like this.