1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1970s prairie prom dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Into the void, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Into the void

Into the void Registered Guest

I picked up this along with the Hawaiian dress I posted earlier. I usually don't go for the prairie look but this was crafted really well with velvet floral on the sheer overlay on the skirt. Also a perrywinkle satin bow and buttons. Metal zipper down the back with 3 hook and eye closures on the neck and one on the back of the blue band. Some Victorian influence on the bust and sleeves it was really unique and it was 4 dollars I showed my mom and she said she remembers those in the 60s but I always thought it was early 70s which I guess the decades blended. Can you help me pin point an exact era or help me specifically classify it. Is it a prom dress? It's constructed like it would be for a prom. Only tag is a dry clean only tag and a lot number and size 9.

Attached Files:

2. acceber

acceber VFG Member

It reminds me of the dresses we wore for church and/or Easter Sunday when I was a kid in the early 70s.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I see more 1960s. It is not really a Prairie style to me, but leans more to a mid-late 1960s "Young Edwardian" fashion. But it does have elements of the early 1970s too.

Love the pattern on the skirt!

4. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

5. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

It's what we'd call a Margo dress here in the UK. - for hostessing at one's house.

6. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree with late '60's.