1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1970's wired beaded belt

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Lynn Marrapodi, Aug 16, 2022.

1. Lynn Marrapodi

Lynn Marrapodi Registered Guest

I acquired this while shopping for a photoshoot some time in the 1970-80 time period.I would be so grateful
    if if anyone recognizes it any way! It is 30in long and 3 in wide...clasps are sterling.
    Thank you in advance!

BELT 1.JPG BELT5JPG.JPG ZUNI BELT.JPG BELT2.JPG BELT5JPG.JPG BELT 1.JPG

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. poisson_rouge

poisson_rouge Registered Guest

Do you mean that you purchased it in the 1970s/80s, or it is definitely from that time? Without context, I actually would have guessed this was much older. From the pictures it looks like the nails/rivets might be handmade?

It looks like it could be Native American beadwork (the hand etched sterling makes me think that, too). If you can't get more insight from others here, you might give antiques dealers a try instead of fashion boards

3. Lynn Marrapodi

Thank you so much for your message.
    I thought it was much older also...and I did reach out to several Native American dealers...before joining this site...and no one was able to identify it. It has been a true conundrum.

4. poisson_rouge

poisson_rouge Registered Guest

Oh, wild. Where did you buy it? Can you post more pictures of the clasp? It looks like it has like a pin/hook/hinge thing going on. It's driving me crazy because I know I've encountered one like it before, but can't think of where.

It's really a beautiful piece. Would love to hear if you're able to find out more.

5. Lynn Marrapodi

Screen Shot 2022-10-02 at 5.55.33 PM.png
    You are right about the clasp! The 2 ends slipped into each other...and there was kind of a long "nail" that held the silver clasp together. I cannot find that "nail" piece. I recently reached out on another site dealing in Native American beads and artifacts, and I will definitely update you when I get any info. I am so pleased that you may have seen one before...and hopefully you have a better memory than I do!
    Thank you again for your contact! Best, Lynn

6. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree it looks older may be Native American or Central American. I have seen that type or clasp on Afghan and Moroccan jewelry.