1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1973 Fendi Womens Sweater

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Nicole DiGiusto, May 31, 2023.

1. Nicole DiGiusto

Nicole DiGiusto Registered Guest

Hello!
    I've searched the internet to hopefully find some information regarding this vintage 1973 Fendi sweater. Unfortunately I was unsuccessful so I'm hoping this forum will be helpful. I'd truly appreciate any information that anyone may have. The date on the tag is July, 26 1973. The fabric consists of; 60% Angora, 30% Lana Wool and 10% Nylon. What I find fascinating about this sweater is that the style is very similar to the current style of sweaters. Thank you in advance to anyone with knowledge regarding this Fendi sweater!
    Respectfully, Nicole
    20230531_092323.jpg 20230531_092323.jpg 20230526_184202.jpg 20230526_183600.jpg 20230526_183641.jpg 20230526_183746.jpg 20230526_183804.jpg 20230531_092618.jpg

2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

“A norma della legge” means something like “under the law” and that date is the date of the law not the garment which could have been made much later

From what I recall this law 883 has something to do with regulating the names and labeling of textile products

amandainvermont likes this.
  3. Nicole DiGiusto

Ok thank you! I did learn what
    “A norma della legge" translated to but didn't realize the date was in reference to that. I appreciate you taking the time to send your message!
    Respectfully, Nicole

4. Welcome to the forums, Nicole. What sort of information are you after? If it's a date, I concur that this is likely later than '73 (oh how I wish manufacturers would date their clothing accurately!). The colour as very popular in the late '70s.

I can't see the Ginetex laundry symbols clearly but you can also use them for dating as they change over time.

I also note that we don't have that label in the label resource so if you'd like to submit it, it would be appreciated.

5. Nicole DiGiusto

Good morning and thank you for your response. Honestly any information would be helpful. I'm assuming and hoping that its authentic! I'd be more than happy to submit the label! I'm just not sure how to do that. Thank you again!

6. Nicole DiGiusto

7. Thank you - here's the label thread for posting.

Unfortunately we can't help you with authenticating the garment: it needs to be seen in person by a professional appraiser. But I see no reason to doubt its authenticity.

Regarding dating, it might help if you can photograph it being worn: simple jumpers like these have slight differences in style over the years, for example waist bands usually sit firm and a little high in a '70s knit. In the '80s the shoulder/arm seem sits further down the arm in a style known as 'dropped shoulder' and the waistbands sit lower. The armscyes (armholes) also are quite wide compared to '70s.

8. Nicole DiGiusto

Good morning- Here's a picture of the laundry symbols. I can submit more pictures when I have a few minutes. Thank you in advance! 20230606_071251.jpg

9. Nicole DiGiusto

Hello! Sorry for the delay but here are some pictures of the sweater being warn

Attached Files:

10. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

11. Thank you, it makes such a difference to see a garment being worn. And it does indeed have the dropped shoulder style that was popular in the 1980s but those full sleeves look more like the late '70s to early '80s so I think early '80s is the likely date.

If you unpick the label to see the laundry symbols in full, they can help date too. The differences over time are often very small and subtle so you need to see the whole symbol clearly to discern.

12. Nicole DiGiusto

I love and appreciate the passion you have for vintage clothing! You're like a detective finding clues to help me solve a mystery!! Having a passion for something in life is a gift & a beautiful thing!! Here's a better picture of the care label. I'm afraid that if I pull it more, it will rip. Hopefully it will help. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! Respectfully, Nicole

Attached Files:

13. Nicole DiGiusto

Sorry I should have added this question before. I know that you're unable to authenticate the sweater. "IF" it was to be authentic, would you be able to tell me it's estimated value? If not, could you please point me in the right direction? Thanks again for your time and assistance!

14. Just as we can't authenticate, we can't value either but (as a professional valuer) I can tell you that a proper appraisal needs to be done in person, not from photos like these, so all the elements can be taken into account. And I charge a fee for my services.

A cheaper and easier alternative is to view closed auctions on ebay and auction results on websites. There are a large number of sites that will give you this information. Value is determined by demand: rarity, how typical or ground-breaking the design is for the designer, quality, condition and other factors. Another consideration is where you offer it for sale: results vary enormously depending on venue and manner of presentation.

Nicole

15. Ranch Queen Vintage

Ranch Queen Vintage Administrator

@Nicole DiGiusto I LOVE this sweater! I'm onboard with a 1970s dating. It's one of my absolute favorite style/era of knits. To get the full effect of how it was meant to be worn, you'll want to allow the waistband ribbing to sit on the hip like this...
    4E536A74-11B7-4910-B8DD-CC70F85D2686_1_201_a.jpeg

Also, thanks for your permission to add this label to the VFG Label Resource. I can download the label image from this thread, so you need not make a separate submission. Just let me know how you wish to be credited.

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  16. Nicole DiGiusto

Thank you all so much for your time and invaluable input! Although this is an incredibly stylish & beautiful sweater, I'd ideally like to sell it. Seeing that this is my 1st experience with vintage clothes, I'm clueless as to where to go from here. I feel like a fish out of water

17. Nicole DiGiusto

Hey there. I feel like a pain but I have a couple questions that I'd like to ask you. If you're not able to answer them, I completely understand and respect that! I've spent countless hours on the internet trying to research anything I could find about this sweater. I found absolutely nothing with the exception of this wonderful thread! I took your suggestion and looked at closed auctions but found nothing comparable. You have all been absolutely incredible in helping me find some answers, and as I've previously mentioned, I appreciate each and every one of you! Here are the questions I have for you;

1) What is your fee to appraise this piece? I live right outside of Boston so is that even feasible?

2) Is getting an online appraisal from a website a safe option? If so, what company do you consider reputable?

I'm a single mother and my daughter's going to college nex year. Needless to say, if this sweater is worth selling, I'd like to do so. Thank you again for your time, assistance and consideration!!

Respectfully, Nicole

18. Hi Nicole,
    I had a quick look and couldn't see anything similar - Fendi is one of those brands that has increased in productivity and popularity so on the upside, your garment is rarer, and is probably not a copy, but on the downside: harder to find information.

I'm based in Melbourne Australia, you need someone in your location. You could try google, or auction houses but to be honest, you may find that the cost of the appraisal is not worth the value of the garment.

As an example, I found this '80s Fendi which sold in NJ for $70USD. Link here.

[​IMG]

19. Nicole DiGiusto

Well if I ever come to Australia, which is a dream of mine, I'll certainly let you know. But in all seriousness, thank you for sharing your knowledge and time!!