1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20s 30s corselet?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by regan, Nov 6, 2012.

1. regan

regan Registered Guest

DSC_3494.JPG DSC_3497.JPG DSC_3507.JPG DSC_3504.JPG
    Hi, I am wondering if someone could give me their opinion about this corselet? Do you think it is 20s or 30s? and what kind of lace? Chantilly? I am, very bad at identifying lace. The top of it reminds me of 30s brassiere with the ribbon straps and tiny rosettes.

2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a charming piece...I've never seen one quite like it.

It looks 20s to me and it looks like a machine made cotton lace. The pattern of the lace does looks similar to Chantilly.

Lovely find, Regan.

3. regan

regan Registered Guest

Thanks Mary Jane for your feedback.

4. joules

joules VFG Member

Gosh that is sweet, Regan!
    Thanks for sharing the photos.

5. regan

regan Registered Guest

Thanks Joules.

6. It's a pretty piece, and rather unusual - I haven't seen anything like this either. The garter fittings are similar to a '20s corset that I have, that I thought was Edwardian until I researched it more, but yours has too much shape to be '20s: is it clipped to the mannequin perhaps? If the hour glass shape is authentic I think it's either a '20s piece that was updated in a curvier era or a '30s piece that uses old styled materials.

If you were able to determine the fabric composition it might help: a rayon is more likely to be a '30s piece although they did use rayon in '20s lingerie.

7. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

I LOVE it

8. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Is it a Liberty Bodice? a really nice one?

9. regan

regan Registered Guest

Thanks all!

Nicole, it is not clipped. I think the lace is cotton and it has netting lining and the garters I think rayon- sometimes I have a hard time telling the difference between silk or rayon.

Laurenm, yeah it is kind of like a liberty bodice, because there is no boning or ties but I think traditional ones use more of a loose fleece type fabric.