1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20s-30s floral silk dress, or later repo?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by GemGem, Jun 26, 2021.

1. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

I have this very pretty floral dress which as far as i can tell should date to the late 1920's or very early 1930's.

However, I am quite confused over the lining.

On the one hand, it looks like lining in more recent dresses (40s-50s onwards) on the other hand it has the same tiny seam stitching and decorative stitching.

Has the lining been added later? It seems to match the thread and stitch size of the silk??

The pattern is very pretty kind of muted floral pattern in light blues and purple, it has short angel sleeves, a low waist panel which is closer fitting over the hips then the skirt part which has light flare to it. I'd say it was ankle length or just above.

It has a single button fastening to nape and is a pull on style dress. The button, interestingly, has a plastic shank, it's quite a rough textured type of plastic and it stamped with the word 'victory'.

Lots of different types of decorative stitching, scallop to the sleeves, another type to the neckline, another to hem and even the lining has a decorative stitch. Please do share any observations with me :)

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3341.JPG

IMG_3355.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

IMG_3374.JPG

IMG_3348.JPG

IMG_3365.JPG

2. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thank you I did wonder about that. I have seen quite a few 70s does 30s dresses but can’t recall any in silk, lots in cotton and synthetics. I thought the button could indicate later too, the plastic seems like early plastic but I know nothing about when plastic shanks were first introduced. Was hoping that the victory stamp might hold a clue for dating.

3. MagsRags

MagsRags VFG President Staff Member

Pretty dress. I am thinking maybe made by a seamstress or skillful home sewer.

GemGem likes this.
  4. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Thank you Maggie! the addition of the decorative stitching is quite interesting. Do you think it is a 70s repo too?

5. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

Just wondered if anyone disagreed that this is 70s doing 30s? Going to list it and want to make sure I pass on correct dating. Many thanks :)

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

It's 1970s with a stylistic nod to the 30s but it's not 'doing' 30s ; )

GemGem likes this.