1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20s or 30s on these "Kreep a Way" children's slippers?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by cmpollack, Jan 6, 2010.

1. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

20s or 30s on these \"Kreep a Way\" children\'s slippers?

I'm looking to confirm that these children's slippers are 20s. They're described on the box as "Kreep a Way the Slipper Beautiful". I did find a 1921 newpaper reference to the brand, but it was for (adult) felt slippers.

And how would you describe these? Clogs? Wooden sandals? They remind me of the mid-century Turkish bath sandals I had a couple of years ago--are they meant to suggest that ethnic influence intentionally, do you think?

Many thanks for your help!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. joules

joules VFG Member

Carrie, those are enchanting articles! Were they meant to have been worn with a kimono? Wish I knew. They're awfully exotic, and what an odd product name they have.

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I think those are Japanese-type shoes (I don't know the name for them) and I found a 1917 ad for "Ladies' Comfy, Kreep-a-Way house slippers, a large assortment and any color to match any kimona combination."

4. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I forgot to add that the box looks early-30s to me.

I also found a 1937 ad (no pictures) for:

"Kreep-a-Way House Slippers; 69 cents - 98 cents - $1.49; Men's, women's and children's slippers. They help solve the gift problem and are very practicable and serviceable"

5. connie

connie Alumni

They have a very art deco look about them. I'd guess 30s as well.
    They are styled like Japanese Geta, even down to the quirky metal thing in front (I have no idea what that's called but geta have them).
    Very cute!

6. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Duh! I didn't even register the Japanese connection--thanks so much, everyone, for pointing it out! "Geta"--that's a new term for me, which I've just googled--according to the Wikipedia article about geta:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geta_(footwear)

these resemble the ones called "pokkuri" which are worn by young girls and are typically red.

The auction I purchased these from pegged them as 20s, but I thought the graphics on the box looked later than that... Many thanks for confirming my (very shaky) dating hunch, Connie and Lynne--and thank you Lynne for those great ad references! Interesting that the style of these slippers appears to have begun in the teens and lasted for over a decade...

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Those are real Japanese Geta sandals and are not original to the box. The sandals are part of Japanese traditioinal dress. The original owner must have stored them in the box - I think the sandals and box are contemporary - early 30s sounds good to me, but they are not associated.

8. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

We posted at the same time... these aren't pokkuri - those are single block platform geta with a solid platform rise, hollowed out with bells inside and highly decorated with cranes and other auspcious symbols for shichi go san - a specifc holiday for 3, 5 and 7 year olds. Your geta are good quality because they are made from single blocks of wood but they are not fancy enough for high festival wear. The metal plum blossom impressed plate on the underside covers the knot of the straps. (I wrote a museum catalogue on Japanese footwear a long time ago so the info isn't at the front of my brain but I think all that info is correct...)

9. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Wow, the plot thickens!

Let me make sure I'm understanding correctly, Jonathan--these are 30s child-sized Japanese geta, stored in an unrelated 30s children's shoe box?

The end of the box with what appears to be the size (a 10?) on it indicates that the slippers originally inside it were red in color. How's that for a red herring?!

thanks very much for weighing in!

10. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Yes, that is correct. Geta were never made in the U.S. - the original slippers were probably one piece felt slippers, or something similar. Actually, I think the box might be 20s and the geta 30s. The box is too colourful for the 30s - it reminds me more of 20s packaging.

11. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Well, looks like we posted at the same time again!

So, NOT pokkuri (which sound as though they must be lovely, and make pretty noises while the children walk in them...), and the metal ("plum blossom") plate is to cover the strap knot...

Is that both decorative as well as protective, I wonder?

Many thanks, Jonathan. Your repository of shoe knowledge never ceases to amaze!

12. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Its both decorative and protective - it keeps the knot from wearing because those types of geta with the slanted front are a female style and girls and women sometimes walk on the slanted part.

13. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Very interesting...

At first, it looked to me like the metal piece on tap dancing shoes.... Guess that's one more argument against them being house slippers, come to think of it--not only would it make for a lot of noise at breakfasttime, it would also be pretty rough on the floors!

14. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

And the Japanese don't wear footwear inside, other than tabi (socks)

15. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

One last question if you're still around Jonathan--would these have been worn by a girl or boy, or by either?

I'm assuming they're for a girl because of the box and their color, but maybe not?

Thanks again for all your help!

16. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I don't know about the slippers (judging from the graphics they were for either a boy or a girl...), the geta is a girl's style (the slanted front are a female only style)

17. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

18. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Aha! I *thought* that box seemed an unlikely receptacle for those shoes. But what really confused me was the Kreep-a-Way ad that mentioned ""Ladies' Comfy, Kreep-a-Way house slippers, a large assortment and any color to match any kimona combination."

Just another strange coincidence, I guess.

19. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

This has been really interesting! When I saw the first pix I wondered why the Japanese shoes were called slippers but I of course did not have the full knowledge that Jonathan has & I thank him for this info.

That box is adorable & I too think it's 20s.

20. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Yes, and further confusing things is that the box is marked "RED"!

Of course, American kids might not have found them very "comfy"... :rolleyes: