1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

40s peplum suit -- what's missing?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Better Dresses Vintage, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Hi everyone. REALLY LOVE this new and improved VFG and forum. Just terrific.

So here I have an Ike Clark of Dallas peplum suit. Found plenty of the same maker on web, but none of the same label.

Suit is cotton with cotton velvet trim. Seems perfectly straightforward, but when you look closer, it's a bit weird. For one thing... what is the removable "extra collar" piece? I have it attached the only way I could figure it out. Not 100% sure it's right, but wouldn't work any other way. It's reversible. You can have it velvet on the front/woven on the back or vice versa.

And then there are mysterious empty buttonholes under the collar, but nothing to put in them (what do you think it was?). The cuffs have celluloid buttons that detach.

The belt is missing, along with whatever went into those under-collar buttonholes, but otherwise, it's in nearly-new condition. Strange, no?

Side metal "National" zipper on skirt.

Do I have that collar thingy on correctly?

Thanks!

2. Files refuse to upload. They are small jpegs and show as 100% uploaded, but will not appear on the site. Oh, well.

3. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Files will show as uploaded but if they are too big, they will not show up. You might try resizing.

4. They're already less than 200KB. Not sure what's wrong...

5. What size do you recommend?

6. cactusandcattails

I am not sure really, still learning this new forum. But it may not be the file size so much as the overall width and length of the photo.

You should use the "more options" reply box so that you can preview your reply before posting. If it doesn't show in preview, it wont show in your post.

7. Yep, that's what I figured out, and why I gave up (for now) ; ).

Your avatar photo sends me into a swoon every time I see it!

8. cactusandcattails

I'm sure you will figure it out. :)

Thanks, it is a new avatar for me!

9. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

You don't say how the jacket fastens so the under collar button holes could be for a chain fastening with two links either end (rather like on an old cloak) The only one I've seen before could be removed completely and was gold or plated, so yours may have been taken off for safekeeping if this were the case.

If you upload your photo to a hosting site you generally have no problems and it's not too much work.

10. Thanks, Pinkcoke. I'm going to muck with the photos later. Morning's been nutty and now the sitter's on the way out the door...

11. Front and back views, then a shot of what's under the attached collar, and one of the tag. That "buttoned on velvet collar" is reversible. Here's a shot with it reversed to the print (and in back, it reverses to the black velvet). IKE-revColl-SMALL.jpg

12. original belt is missing, but here's how it looks (spiffy, no?) with a random belt of the correct size (based on size of loops) IKE-belt-SMALL.jpg

13. Let me know if you'd like to see any other views. Skirt is a side metal zip w/ plain button at waist.

14. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Ah no I think your random buttonholes are so that the actual jacket collar can be turned down into an open neck style and buttoned down with the buttons you put the detatchable piece onto. (Like a trenchcoat can)
    If the collar was buttoned down after as well it would hide the side pieces and make it look as though the dress had that piece sewn on.

15. Pinkcoke

Pinkcoke Alumni

Try it they may not go that far though it's hard to tell

16. OK... I have tried rolling the attached collar down and getting the hidden buttonholes to reach the detachable-collar buttons, but there is no way to to so. They are just too far away and risk tearing the fabric. Plus, that would be a VERY open collar indeed. Am I doing it wrong? Wish you were here!!!

17. 4.25 inches from buttonholes to center of buttons, on a diagonal. For the button to reach the hole (or vice versa), the whole jacket would be hiked up and the armholes are up around your ears.

It was a brilliant thought, but I don't think it's the answer.

18. Check out the detachable cuffs. Could be worn with either dots or velvet showing.
    IKE-cuffbuttnSMALL.jpg

19. laughingmagpie

laughingmagpie Registered Guest

Could those holes be for a scarf to come through?

Jen