1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50's / 60's Original Designs - Question

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Robert P, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Robert P

Robert P Registered Guest

Hello. I stumbled across 4 original fashion designs on 15" x 20" boards. The art boards feature Los Angeles area phone numbers that start with letters - like HO 3-7181, which places these before 1963. I've stared at the signature until I'm cross-eyed. Anyone have any ideas what these might be? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  2. Metro Retro Vintage

Metro Retro Vintage VFG Member

Very interesting looking signature! The first letter resembles a face or profile.

Lynne of @lkranieri is amazing at deciphering signatures, and hopefully she'll see this thread.

GemGem likes this.
  3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Not amazing at all, Amanda, but thanks for the cheery thought anyway.

Robert, can you take and post similarly clear photos of all the signatures on the fashion plates? Some look very slightly different, which might help decipher the signature.

Thanks

GemGem likes this.
  4. Robert P

I appreciate all your help. Here are all four signatures. One is in pencil, so it's a bit different. Thanks again!

Attached Files:

GemGem and lkranieri like this.
  5. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Thank you for the additional images. While they helped a lot, I am not having much luck either, but will keep trying variations on what I see.

GemGem likes this.
  6. GemGem

GemGem Registered Guest

The signature is beautiful, it looks like the beginning letter incorporate a face in the design. I was wondering if the first letter could be an E. With the variation of Pruch or Peuch as the surname.

Could you take a picture of the other writing on the back of the boards as this could help if it's the same writing, it might help identify how the writer styles certain letters.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  7. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hello,

I think what you have are sketches from a sketch artists who worked for a film studio here in Hollywood. "HO" was the Hollywood exchange at that time. I can see his (?) profile which he drew, and even the little pen or brush behind the ear! It is also possible he was a student at an Art School which specialized in costume design, as there were several at the time here in LA.

If he worked at a major film studio, unless he gained fame or was well known, it is very hard to research. Most of these sketches, even if famous names, were thrown away after a film shoot. If he was not well known, it is a hard search. But would be a fun project.

GemGem likes this.
  8. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

Barbara -

I think you nailed it and these are story boards. But as you said - unless we can decipher the name and/or the person who drew these became famous it's going to be hard. It does look like the drawings are for different actresses and different films.

What a fun find!

9. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

I see Pruch, which is a surname. To the left of the P is a kind of flourish, rather than letters, in the form of a face.

10. I see Spruch. The "face" with the flourish underneath looks like it could be a capital S.
    It could also be S Pruch.

Retro Ruth and lkranieri like this.
  11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

That is my feeling, too.

12. Robert P

Thank you - all of you - for all your help!

The Vintage Vendeuse likes this.