1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50's ? Lilac Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by TrickVintage, Mar 16, 2009.

1. TrickVintage

TrickVintage Registered Guest

50\'s ? Lilac Dress

hello all,

i have a beautiful lilac purple cotton dress.

i was hoping for some help on the dating and description.

seems like 1950's era. seems the bodice is pin-tucked. not sure what the leaf-like treatment would be called-applique ? the fitted waist also has the same treatment. the back of the bodice has a v-shape back with a metal zipper. the skirt is pleated as shown in the photo.

2. TrickVintage

close up of bodice

3. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

Pretty Easter color! I am guessing more 60s on this. It looks to have a pretty deep hem?

4. trellandjesus

trellandjesus Registered Guest

Hi, looks early 60s.

5. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

6. denisebrain

denisebrain VFG Vice President Staff Member VFG Past President

Prrrretty!

The early 60s sounds right to me too. The leaf business looks like eyelet lace with a machine-embroidered leaf pattern.

7. I'd agree with eyelet lace too. Such a pretty dress. Perfect for spring - lovely!

8. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

I was going to say late 50's, so I bow to the early 60's crowd. It reminds me a lot of the dress I wore to my 8th grade graduation. Yours almost looks as if it was originally white and then dyed.

9. TrickVintage

thanks so much for all your expertise !

10. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Yes, I agree that this dress was probably white originally and has been dyed. From the photo there looks to be a deep hem? In which case the original length of the skirt might move the date back into the late 50's.

11. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

I don't know -- I do find that MOST of my late 50's/early 60's dresses already have a very deep hem. Rather than being indicative of hemming, I find it to be more of a construction detail.

It's this very detail that's always lacking in modern reproductions and I think why their skirts never lay quite right.

12. vertugarde

vertugarde Alumni

Thank you Kristine for expanding and clarifying my response. You are right about deep hems for the period in question. I think though it's worth bringing up the point about hems as they do affect dating and also whether a vintage dress/skirt was altered. Having a petticoat in this case would also help.

13. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

14. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

My first thought was the same as Amanda's - late '50's. I think the dress has been shortened. I'm not sure it was originally white, but it may have been. The buttons look like they match the lilac which could be a reflection. I remember owning a lilac dress in 1958. I dug out my eight grade graduation photo from 1957. I'll let you guess which one is me! There are a lot of similar white dresses and not all the hems are deep. We would have been wearing "junior" size dresses. There are a few petticoats and crinolines:

[​IMG]

You can see the dresses better in this link:

http://photos.imageevent.com/linn/linn/Menands School Graduation II.jpg

Linn

15. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Are you the one second to right in the front? Wearing the great necklace?

16. Linn

17. Buckarooandco

Buckarooandco Registered Guest

6th from the left?

=)

18. Linn

19. trellandjesus

trellandjesus Registered Guest

4th from the right?

20. Linn