1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50s or 60s?? MAM'SELLE by BETTY CAROL

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by nostalgic*collections, Feb 16, 2010.

1. nostalgic*collections

nostalgic*collections Registered Guest

50s or 60s?? MAM\'SELLE by BETTY CAROL

The dress has the same label as the MAM'SELLE by BETTY CAROL in the VFG label gallery. Gallery label is from the 60s.

Could the dress be from the 50s or is it 60s??

The fabric appears to be "painted" on the dress. The coloring is on top of the fabric and not interweaved. Is it screen printing? Or what is this called??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any and all help would be appreciated! :help:

Thanks so much!!

2. cactusandcattails

cactusandcattails VFG Member VFG Past President

What type of closure; metal or nylon zipper?

What about the seams; pinked, surged or finished otherwise?

It is very pretty!

3. nostalgic*collections

Hi Brenda,

She has a Metal zipper. The seams are unfinished. Lined in a muslin/netting type backing.

[​IMG]

Thanks again!

4. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

The longer skirt says 50s to me. Is it gown or tea length? Thats one beautiful dress.

Melody

5. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

That's a wowza dress for sure, Vicki! I think 50s, and I think I have a sheath dress made out of the same, or similar fabric, which I dated to the 50s. I'll see if I can find it.... It's nowhere near as nice as yours, though!

6. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

50s is my first impression, as well. that is gorgeous.

7. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What a beautiful gown! I would say late 50s on this one.
    I can see it on Michelle Obama!

8. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

omg, YES!!

9. Laura

Laura Alumni

Beautiful, and I also thought '50s with that length.

Is the fabric flocked?

Laura

10. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

11. nostalgic*collections

Laura - Nope its not flocked!

Melody - Gown length!

Ladies - Thanks so much for all your help and the compliments. My jaw dropped when I found the dress in mint condition! I just stood there and stared. I was in shock!

12. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

That is a real stunner! I agree with late 50s. And I love the way the top of the bodice is cut. Looks like screen printing.

13. nostalgic*collections

MS - Thanks! I called my mom before posting this. I told her I really thought it was more 50s and screen printing. OMG. It is such a good feeling to have my gut confirmed.

Thanks again ladies!

14. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks early - mid-'60's to me. Sometimes it's really difficiult to pin it down. There is a very similarly cut gown in the Sear's Everyday book - 1964, but the main thing that makes me think '60's is the cut is very similar to some gowns that Jackie Kennedy wore in the early '60's. I have to run out the door but will try to find and post images to support my opinion. I won't be back until early evening.

It's beautiful.

Linn

15. nostalgic*collections

Linn - My mom was thinking Jackie in the 60s, too. Would love to see the photos!

Thanks!

16. good I'm not crazy, I think early 60s too... I was just waiting for someone else to disagree as i am not seasoned enough lol. My reasoning is the waist line. It seems a little higher than the average 50s dress. the line starts to rise right around 1960, just before the emergence of the empire dresses. 50s has long torsos (most too long by an 1" for me) and the 60's has shorter torsos. perhaps measure the bodice length and compare to similar size dresses from the 50s. The torso may not be as short as it appears and the black on white may be creating an illusion for me.

Just a thought! it is AMAZING!

17. Linn

I will try to find some photos to support my opinion and post them later.

Linn

18. nostalgic*collections

Thank you ladies!

Jennifer - I love this forum! When I'm on the fence, I love being able to toss it up and get opinions.

Linn - Wonderful as always. Thank you so much!

19. Linn

Here are some photos of gowns that resemble yours. The skirts are not as full but the tops are cut similarly - although we can't see how full the skirt is in the first one.

Here is Audrey Hepburn in a 1961 Givenchy:
    [​IMG]
    Here is Jackie Kennedy in 1961 in a Chez Ninon gown after a Nina Ricci:
    [​IMG]

Here's the gown:
    [​IMG]

This is from the Sear's "Everyday Fashions" series from 1964. It's important to remember that back than, popular fashion was several seasons behind couture. Again the skirt is less full but the cut is similar:
    [​IMG]

I think that there are some pieces that need to be Circa dated - because some classic styles lasted for years. I love your dress and would wear it in 2010!

Linn

20. nostalgic*collections

Linn - I wish I was small enough to wear it. It is absolutely stunning. And I agree, it is a circa date. It could be either 50s or early 60s. Really hard to pin down but truly classic.

Thanks again!