1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50s vs 60s handmade dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Impey, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Hi all

promise the last question for this week! I’ve acquired this lovely handmade dress and matching bolero style jacket, and I’m trying to work out if it’s 50s or 60s

personally I think it’s more 50s in style, but the previous owner apparently wore it in her 20s and was born in 1939, which would push it into early 60s.

what do people think? Would late 50s early 60s make sense in terms of style?

many thanks

Impey

Attached Files:

Vinclothes and Midge like this.
  2. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

At first glance, I see more of the 1950s in this one.

3. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree - '50s.

5. Retro Ruth

Retro Ruth VFG Member Staff Member

Wow that is a fab print! Honestly Impey, you keep giving us so much lovely eye candy!

I would have thought 50s on this too.

I don't know where you got your info on the previous owner from, but people's memories are notoriously inaccurate on this kind of thing. I've been handed things and been told "my mum wore it in the 60s" and it was clearly 80s or whatever. If we are all right about 50s, and the birth year is correct, possibly she first wore it in her teens?

6. Impey

Impey Registered Guest

Thanks so much everyone! It’s so nice having a space to share my finds, especially as I can’t do it physically at the moment.

It is very leopardy!

7. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I would have guessed 1958-60

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I am seeing 1960-1961. She probably wore it for several years into the 60s decade. I love it.