1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

60s or 70s shift dress?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Inlovewithretro, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Inlovewithretro

Inlovewithretro Registered Guest

I recently purchased this Betty Hartford shift dress on Etsy and it arrived after being stuck in transit for two months from the next state. Anyway, the original listing listed it as '70s' in the title and '60s' in the description so it confused me a bit. I am 99% sure it is a 60s dress looking at the style and label but just thought I'd clarify here- Thanks!

Original listing photo: il_570xN.1102359209_j0f0.jpg

Details:
    20171120_151712.jpg 20171120_151704.jpg Label:
    20171120_151652.jpg
    Zip and snap closure and stitching:

20171120_151809.jpg 20171120_151749.jpg

2. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

It's probably around 1970s, early 1970s.

Inlovewithretro likes this.
  3. The style is '60s but there are other elements that put it closer to 1970s, so I'll go with very late '60s to very early '70s, about a cusper. It looks like the fabric is polyester knit.

4. Linn

Linn Super Moderator Staff Member VFG Past President

It looks late '60's to me. We have the Betty Hartford label in the VFG's LR from an early 1960's dress. The label is the same. There are a lot of Betty Hartford dresses for sale online dating from the 1950s - 1960's. I haven't looked really hard but I haven't been able to find anything about the company.

It could be a cusper but I think it's earlier. Are there any other labels - fabric content or care?

Inlovewithretro likes this.
  5. Inlovewithretro

Thanks, yes when worn it looks more 60s but it is a bit confusing so a cusper would make sense. Yes I think it might be, it is very soft and I haven't seen material on a dress like that before.

6. Inlovewithretro

Thanks, I found that and it is very similar but in better condition. There are a lot so it must have been a bigger brand but I can't find much information on it either. However, I did post the label in the Label Q&A and a member sent links to an archived article about the brand's owners and their controversy surrounding worker's rights which was interesting.
    No, there are no other labels than the brand label.

7. Inlovewithretro

The zipper says 'FAWN' also since it can't be made out in the photo.