1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

70s Arnaud & Thierry Gillier Wool Long Sleeved Dresses - questions

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by 50sVintage, Apr 12, 2017.

1. 50sVintage

50sVintage Registered Guest

Hi All!

From my 1970s closet, come 2 stunning 100% wool long-sleeved dresses, one in a gorgeous olive and the other in a dark burgundy (not shown). Both have what seem to be mother-of-pearl buttons although confirmation of that is one question I ask here, but not the main question.

These dresses have the most amazing fit and were made by Arnaud & Thierry Gillier, Paris. I purchased them new at Bloomingdale's between about 1978 - 1981. Many articles can be found online for Thierry Gillier, and even his father, Andre, co-founder of Lacoste. http://www.fashionmodeldirectory.com/designers/thierry-gillier/ However, nothing I've turned up refers to Arnaud, nor have I found a single vintage item listed anywhere at all under the name "Arnaud & Thierry Gillier."

Does anyone know anything about Arnaud? Was that another name for Thierry's dad, Andre?
    Does anyone have more information about the company "Arnaud & Thierry Gillier"? When was it formed, for how long was it in business, what happened to it? And, finally, if there are other items from that company I would love to see them. These 2 dresses were so perfect that I barely wore them because I wanted to have and keep them forever. Obviously, nearly 40 years later, I indeed still have them, but alas they waaaaaaaaay no longer fit me!

Thank you in advance.

Mia

Arnaud & Thierry Gillier Paris Olive Wool button down dress (1).JPG

Arnaud & Thierry Gillier Paris Olive Wool button down dress (3).JPG

2. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Here is an excerpt from a related 1992 article:
    IMG_6451.jpg

3. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

...and HERE is a history of the business.

4. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I went to school with Thierry. He used to work for the "family biz" during breaks but wasn't doing so in earnest till after graduation which would've been 1982. He was a very nice guy, and also a character.

Vintagiality likes this.
  5. 50sVintage

50sVintage Registered Guest

Oh my, from your comments, it appears I bought the dresses between '84 and '92. That makes sense given the mid-calf length of them. I really appreciate the information, Lynne and Cinthia. Much appreciated. Thank you!

6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

You are welcome and thank you for a little walk down Memory Lane. Thierry was a very nice guy and was always in the middle of some fun drama. He said the funniest things that we classmates remember to this day. He really wanted to be a creative type and fell into a very creative life that suits him well. I am very happy for his success. : )))