1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

80s or 90s on this Lame (?) peplum Doublet (?) Jacket

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by laurenm, Jul 26, 2017.

1. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Any thoughts on this re: date and fabric....it has this strange pseudo quilted effect with metallic coloured circles in the weave?

Attached Files:

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

Funny... I was just looking through my Abraham book, showing the haute couture equivalents... Fabulous top! I'd say 80s, and the fabric could be a matelassé.

3. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

I agree with 80s. That peplum look came back around 1985 and I had several dresses with that same silhouette at the time.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I'm seeing more 70s with this jacket. The fit of it and those puffed sleeves at the shoulder line.

5. I agree with MJ: the silhouette of the shoulders and sleeves is about '79-81. The peplum seems uneven so I wonder if it was a dress that was altered in the late '80s. Can you tell if the hem is original? Is it sewn the same way as the sleeve cuffs?

6. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Nicole, the sleeves are unlined but the lining around the neckline and down the front is the same as the hem. There were a couple of safety pins holding two folds of the peplum closer together that may have given the uneven effect. It is a it 'raw' looking on the inside along the seam where the peplum lining has been sewn. I cd get some shots tomorrow if that might help?

7. Yes please. I'm not quite sure what you're describing but it sounds like the peplum (raw) might be an updated hem. If you can also show an image of how the cuffs are finished off (hemmed) it would be helpful. Thank you.

8. laurenm

laurenm Registered Guest

Looking at it closely now it sure looks like something has been done, but I don't understand what!! The sleeves are not professionally hemmed and the edge where the lining on the inside of the peplum meets the upper part of the top is sort of unevenly stitched I think....but it sure looks like that's the original lining.....

Attached Files: