1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A 20's....what?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by VintageFray, May 30, 2009.

1. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

A 20\'s....what?

[​IMG]

Hello everyone! :hiya: thought I'd share something I found a while ago, before you scroll down try and guess what it is! When i first found it I wasn't sure... couldn't be a chocker, as it didnt have a fastening and was too small to fit over the head, ditto on being a hairband... I couldn't fingure it out. I went back to it a couple of weeks later and discovred something....

[​IMG]

The decrative beaded main section turned out to be a pouch, and inside the pouch was a...

[​IMG]

Powder puff! A squashed one, but a powder puff all the same. I'd found a garter! Why i didn't think of a garter first I'm not sure!

I just wondered how unusual it was, and if anyone had discovered similar surprises in any garters they'd found. I'm assuming 20's, on the date. Can't you just imagine a 20's girl provocativly reaching for her garter to powder her nose? :spin:

2. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

That is about the neatest trick I've seen in a while!!

3. missproper

missproper Alumni

That's the cutest thing ever!!! I love it! :wub:

4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

The powder puff is not to powder her nose -- its to powder her knees - or to rouge them actually. You could buy rouge as a powder or as a grease base, like lipstick, at the time.

5. BijouVintage

BijouVintage Alumni

:wow: what a thought! I can just picture it!

6. joules

joules VFG Member

Oh my gosh, I knew of the practice, but I have never before seen one of these.
    Rosine, thank you for posting the photos of the garter!

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Ohhh, that is just delightful! I am happy that Jonathan mentioned the function, as I never would have guessed that it was used for that--and why did they DO that?

I, too, have a 1920s item that I have enjoyed for a couple of years and that has a tiny puff, too. The opposite side is a hinged vial, presumably for a fragrance. What fun that era must have been...

[​IMG]

8. catseyevintage

catseyevintage VFG Member

9. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

I suspect the reaons they rouged their knees was to bring attention to them when sitting or dancing, when the knee would be exposed. Stockings would be rolled to under the knee and the dress would cover the tops of the stockings (the dresses were never above the knee in the 20s) However, when dancing or sitting, the dress would ride up, exposing the knees, so the rouge would bring attention to that bareness the same way a belly button ring would bring attention to the navel in a top that rode up when the wearer moved about or lifted her arms. Peek-a-boo is ALWAYS more sexy than blatant.

10. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

what a fun thread! always learning SOMEthing around here! thanks Rosine, Jonathan & Marty!

11. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

Hmmmm...yes...and now that I think about that, redness usually indicates a flush, or heightened state of (sexual) excitement, doesn't it...

12. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

Now wait a minute Lynne ... that's my mother you're talking about! Great info.

13. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

Fascinating thread! (I'll do just about anything to keep my knees under wraps--good thing I wasn't a flapper... ;) ) Thanks for posting your garter pic, Rosine--I've never seen one like it!

And Lynne, your "walnut" pendant is just about the coolest 20s vanity item ever...

14. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Member Staff Member VFG Past President

What an adorable garter! I too have seen these in films and such, but never have found one!

Etsy gals - this is a great marketing opportunity for a wedding garter - beaded wedding garters!

15. MyVintageCocktail

MyVintageCocktail VFG Member

That garter is adorable, Rosine! And what an informative thread this is. I always thought I should have been an adult in the 50s--now I think I should have been a flapper girl....

16. VintageFray

VintageFray Alumni

wow! I'd never even thought to ask if the powder puff wasn't for the face, thats fascinating! Makes sense. I never knew there was such a practice, I'm glad i posted the pictures as I would never have thought to look into it.

Lynne that trinket is just gorgeous! I love it!

thanks for the information marty, it makes for great reading. I shy away from using the word 'flapper' as i think it's over used, and doesn't apply to all it's used to describe, but i think i might allow myself to call it a flappers garter!

17. LorrelMae

LorrelMae Registered Guest

"That is about the neatest trick I've seen in a while!!"

I agree!

18. coffeegrl

coffeegrl Registered Guest

Seriously seriously seriously one of the coolest things I've ever seen and one of the coolest threads I've ever read - sweeeet.

19. TangerineBoutique

TangerineBoutique VFG Member

My aunt once told me she rouged her knees before she got on the bus for work (and AFTER she was out of the house). Then she slid her skirt up just over the knee to show them off. It was a fad, like any other fad who knows why?

Melody