1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Lipstick Dispenser?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by amandainvermont, Sep 3, 2016.

1. amandainvermont

amandainvermont VFG Member

2. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

3. sewingmachinegirl

sewingmachinegirl VFG Member

I want to travel back in time to the button shop- Swoon!

4. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

I wonder why they don't have lipstick dispenseries now. I think they'd be a hit!

5. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

I remember in the 1970s there were cosmetic machine next to the tampon and Kotex machines... sold perfumes and stuff... fancy hotel ladies rooms. Like The Plaza... there was one in there. Seemed so old fashioned at the time.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  6. bycinbyhand

bycinbyhand VFG Member

And that button store... there was one that I used to go to in NYC. On Broadway and Spring. I heard they moved to Jersey and went online. But they knew their inventory. I'd walk in with a fabric or item and they'd send me to different corners of the store for perfect matches. It was JUST like that photo!

poppysvintageclothing likes this.
  7. Midge

Midge Super Moderator Staff Member

I just remembered... I have seen some kind of cosmetics dispenser somewhere in recent years. Can't remember where, but not in Europe I think. Could have been an airport. Small mascaras - like the little sample ones from Clinique. And at another place a machine that sold little perfumes, sample size. In some airports they have little toothbrushes and toothpaste in dispensers. Not that I needed to use any of those, but the cosmetics one did intrigue me. I always keep facial cream and perfume samples for traveling, to put into my handluggage. But I would have loved to see those fancy dispensers at hotels like the Plaza!

8. This is why I love vintage things so much......and, often long for such a simpler time! Thanks, Amanda!

9. peaceful vintage

peaceful vintage Administrator VFG Past President

Someone could make a comeback you know. From what Karin mentioned, small mascaras, it would be great to have dispensaries with mini makeup to get you through the day. Your mascara, eyeliner, or lipstick came off? Your concealer is not concealing that spot as you thought? Don't have your make up? $1.25 gets you one or maybe $4.50 and you get to pick 4.

10. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

Fabulous. Only thing is I could never go into the button shop.
    I have collected buttons for years. I would never leave.
    I have large tins full of them and know if I want to peek inside I have to make sure I do not have anything important to do.
    I tend to sit for hours going through them.
    My mom used to let me string buttons together as a child when she was sewing.
    I know it is all due to her.
    I remember perfume dispensers.

11. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

12. Love both images! I have the best memories of spending hours at "Jack's Fabrics" in Port Chester, NY, when I was little (late 60s/early 70s). There was a button room that was just heavenly. I hung out there admiring the buttons while she shopped.