1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A long shot, but..Red Cross nurse uniform ?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Kurt Roeyer, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Kurt Roeyer

Kurt Roeyer Registered Guest

N160-55-009-X=Pauline-Fissler-Foto-Unbek.jpg
    Looking for some help: I am trying to get an approximate date & location on this photo for family tree research. Can you identify any of these uniforms ?
    I thought your forum might connect me with someone with expertise.
    The woman marked with an X is from a family in Pforzheim, Germany, so I suspect this would be a German group photo, (whether hospital or POW camp?), seems likely to be vintage WW 1, but possibly other German military campaigns. Both she and the younger woman next to her are wearing Red Cross type insignia badges I believe. Can anyone confirm these speculations, based on what you see ?
    I thank you kindly in advance for any ideas or comments. Kurt Roeyer

2. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

The German Red Cross, prior to and during the 2nd WW had a not always pleasant past although you photo is WW1 years

Accept possibly for 2 or 3 of them, I think most of the men are patients, the young lads, hospital orderlies? the young lad, 2nd row, 2nd from right, wondering what that is at his feet. Back row 2nd from right, that lady doesn't appear to be Germanic.

The lady from Pforzheim, a nurse yes, do you know what religious order she belonged to?

The photo, is it a family photo or from a publication?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  3. Kurt Roeyer

Kurt Roeyer Registered Guest

Thanks much for your comments.

This is from a trove of family photos given to me. Many of which are individuals not clearly identified, but related to the Theodore Fahrner family. (This is a family which had a jewelry design & fabrication workshop from 1840-1915 or so, in Pflorzheim; you can still find Fahrner pieces selling on eBay.)

My paternal grandmother was a Fahrner, and the woman marked "X" is likely Pauline (nee Fahrner) Fissler, younger sister to Theo Fahrner Senior, his dates were 1823-1883 altho I haven't yet found hers. There is no mention anywhere that she was a religious, I assumed her head covering (what do you call those?) had to do with her Red Cross uniform. From what I have seen, many early RC uniforms had similar head pieces, see http://collectarc.com/Uniform Guide.pdf although that article is only about American RC uniforms.

4. Avantbo

Avantbo Registered Guest

Hi,

It has occurred to me, while I was thinking photo was taken in a hospital setting, it of course could be a convalescent home.

It's clinical tidyness make me think it somewhere in Germany.

I always thought RC personnel/nurses had to wear a RC badge/pin on any headwear save for religious orders who were exempt but perhaps not.

I am not a historian so when looking at photos for ID/dating/research purposes I break the photo/s down.

Good luck with the research.