1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A mystery item. Possibly part of an antique nurses uniform?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by anothertimevintageapparel, May 11, 2021.

1. This was with other fabrics and older nurses uniforms, as in 1920s and earlier.

A very unusual piece in heavy cotton with ruffles along the bottom and one edge.
    2 ties are attached at the bottom ruffles and the top is open, as in a large pocket.
    The top also has 2 ties.

With the top opening, it must open along the top?
    Could it be an inner pocket or something similar for a uniform?

It looks like an apron of some sort, but it is only a half shape.

Any thoughts on this mystery item?

I may be completely wrong with its use.
    cotton item.jpg
    cotton item 2.jpg

cotton item 3.jpg

cotton item 4.jpg

cotton item 5.jpg

2. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

That is a mystery! Maybe a pillow covering for an odd shaped chair? They often have those ties. Or, not!

3. That was my first thought, but it doesn't work correctly. When you see it in person, it is so odd.

4. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

5. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

Got me.

6. I forgot to include the size. Without the ruffle, it is 12" x 13", so quite large.

It is a heavy cotton that early nurse uniforms are made of.

I have looked and looked at it, and I can't figure it out.

7. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

My only thought about your item is that nurses' uniforms don't have ruffled embellishments, likely so they don't catch and/or transmit things such as blood or other body fluids in the ruffles. Their uniforms are sleek and easy to care for, so I am quite sure that is not what that was used with.

I forgot to add that it may be part of a housekeeper's uniform, for tools, etc., a la the French maid uniform.

8. That makes more sense. It is utilitarian, so it wouldn't be anything very decorative.

9. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

I think Lynne may be on to something. If the ties are long enough to tie around the waist, could it be used to carry dust cloths or sliver cleaning supplies? The heavy material was also worn by cleaning workers. A hospital housekeeper?
    Marian

10. The ties are short and on the bottom part. If you tie them together, it looks like a bloomer leg with ruffles on the side and bottom.
    So very odd.
    With all of the like minds, we may figure it out.

11. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

One more guess. C0uld it have used to modestly cover some piece of medical equipment? Sort of lake pantaloons for piano legs?
    Marian

12. Interesting thought.
    Back in the box of bits and bobs it goes since I can not give it a real identification.