1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a print blouse, and a bit of a date check?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by mercyonthesubway, Jun 14, 2010.

1. mercyonthesubway

mercyonthesubway Registered Guest

thanks for any thoughts. This is one of those things where I have no reason to disbelieve the very nice and courteous seller who billed this as 50s-60s, but the voice in the back of my head is saying '40s-50s' (on the early edge of 50s). The thing that's doing that for me is mostly the print, and a little bit the fluid handling of the fabric/back shoulder darts/finishing.

Larger question: these back-buttoned suit blouses went right through from the 30s to the 60s in one form or another, is that right?

I'm probably the *only* person this matters to, as I'm in the process of thinking about the print (and what the heck is in it). But I'd love some sane input on this, as opposed to staying within the bounds of my print-addled/obsessed mind...

Thanks to anyone who would like to comment.
    One more thing: the coral-ly red has come out in my quick phone pictures as an orange. It's definitely a slightly more unusual, muted red. Carmine? Not sure.

[​IMG]

Terrible picture, I'm so sorry:
    [​IMG]

And the fabric label plus (not very visible) size 36 label.
    [​IMG]

Lin

2. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

I'm with you. I'm thinking more 40's than 50's/60's.

Actually.. I don't think I'd even be surprised if someone could confirm late 30's.

3. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

and... ummmm... is this for sale? And if so... would it fit someone with a 40" bust?

4. mercyonthesubway

ha! Kristine, thanks so much for that input. It's good to know my eye is not leading me totally astray. Definitely interested in where everyone would place it.

Nerd interlude: thing is, the design itself pushes it early-ish for me. It's very much a detailed 'let's tell an Arabian nights tale' attempt that one sees around the 40s (I've blogged about this with another 40s textile, so I was wondering whether this could be a 'part two', but I'm still floundering with identification issues).

Alas, it's definitely staying with me For Some Time. Definitely my Etsy find of the week. (haven't dared try it on yet, so don't know how the '36' maps onto size, just gazed admiringly, doing this :adore: )

5. missproper

missproper Alumni

Not for sale? What a tease! I'm just kidding.

It's gorgeous! :wub: My first thought was 40's too.

6. fuzzylizzie

fuzzylizzie Alumni

Yep, and the plastic buttons look older as well. 1946-7ish.

7. joules

joules VFG Member

I was just going to comment about the buttons looking forties. I adore that blouse. Glad you found it, as it goes so well with your collection of these sorts of wonderful prints.

8. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

Hi,

This is a killer blouse and I adore it! My thoughts agree with 1940's. The novelty print fabric has a theme that harkens to the Bob Hope/Bing Crosby "Road" films of the 1940's such as Road to Zanzibar or Road to Morocco, etc. Very Dorothy Lamour darling!

Thanks for showing it.

Barbara

9. mercyonthesubway

thanks so much everyone - really, very, very useful indeed that it's saying 'forties' so loudly to you.

Lizzie you've homed in on the *ideal* couple of years for maximum design and thus blog interconnectedness, this makes me happy.

Joules, yes, I really cast the net pretty wide for all sorts of strange prints, but I'm especially pleased when I find these incredibly arty c.1940s silk and rayon ones. They're so original and lively.

10. mercyonthesubway

11. joules

joules VFG Member

Um hmm, so yummy, and nothing else in the world like them! A bit different sort of print, but speaking of silk forties back button blouses. Wish the photos had been better, but still. A Carol Benson:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. mercyonthesubway

oh that's great. I can really imagine that standing out in actually quite a subtle way amid a streamlined, dark wood Manhattan hotel lobby amidst the dark suits...

13. cmpollack

cmpollack VFG Member

:drooling22:

The print on that is outrageously gorgeous... (and I agree, 40s!)

I just got a very similar one (for myself, not resale) with a butterfly-theme print, labelled Dorothy Korby. How DO you find so many outstanding Persian prints? :wow22:

thanks for sharing this beauty with us...

14. The Vintage Merchant

The Vintage Merchant Administrator Staff Member

15. mercyonthesubway

*yes* Nicole! Of course! I saw a mag article about those designs recently which I meant to scan and post, but haven't had time. I must do so and remind myself. But you're right- even some of the poses are quite balletic. I must pursue that line of enquiry and credit you when I manage to write it up.

Carrie- I just really splash around with my keyword searches online. I hardly ever find these 'off the rack' in shops or sales here.
    I try and imagine what people might see in the prints, which is all sorts. To be honest, more consistent use of the old stand by 'novelty print' in the etsy keyword list at the bottom would save me from/ deprive me of a lot of inventive procrastination!

16. Rue_de_la_Paix

Rue_de_la_Paix VFG Member

17. thespectrum

thespectrum VFG Member Staff Member

That is a smashing blouse, wonderful design & colors. A great find indeed.

18. mercyonthesubway

19. ivycompany

ivycompany Alumni

Just popping in to say that your blog is delightful!