1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About a Hat. Army or Army inspired?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by Patentleathershoes, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Patentleathershoes

Patentleathershoes VFG Veteran VFG Past President

When i saw it i thought it was a man's miliatary hat - army. It is fully lined (in green) and the piping is very reminiscent of the hats in my WWII photos (though my husband thought possibly Korea, but he is not an expert on it) But then i thought because of the smaller size thoughtit either was from a ladies unifrom, but for the fact that it said "exclusive of ornamentation" on part of the size tag and that these were not buttons but a pin of three circles than a single circle pin that this could be a military influenced hat designed for ladies also. (and it would sit more on top of a 'do)

sorry for the miserable pics...i will find my had stand in the a.m. Size label later.....I am picking up everything with a military influence or having to do directly with the military lately it seems.

There was nothing else exciting there at all that i found to pick up. just a lot of things in horrid condition or recent disney "collectibles"

Chris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the pin has a cross weave that reminds me of a screen pattern.

2. Chris, I don't know. I have one from WWII I need to list. It is about the same color, exactly same shape, with piping but no buttons. I have spent hours reseaching military memorabilia. Maybe you could post it on the history board on Ebay. They have really helped me out before, since the information is so scattered on the web.

Or better yet, maybe we have a member on the Public Board here who can help you!

3. Patentleathershoes

i have a few photos of men w/ hats with insginia or some sort of other embellishment on them, and they look very similar to this....but of course size and the pins made me think it was a woman's... i will scan tomorrow for you if they look like your hat at all. The pins look more decorative than military related to me on mine.

4. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

The hat may be military, it looks to be olive drab and is called an envelope cap. These were worn for years and years - WW2 to Korea and later. But those buttons/pins are not military at all. They may have been added or the hat is a fashion version of the standard army issue.

Hollis

5. Patentleathershoes

I am going to take a pic of the label and then maybe it can be deduced whether it is military or fashion. And of course, people can add hat pins at any time. If it is fashion, i would think that it would be 40s, but if it was military, than it could equally be the Korean war and be later. be back later....

at any rate, i thought it worth saving from the dealer tossing it out.....

6. Patentleathershoes

I am still working on a clearer pic of the label inside....chartreusey olivey lining. label says on the bottom "exclusive of decoration"

[​IMG]

7. pastperfect2

pastperfect2 Alumni +

now it's quite possble that it is military, but not USA.

I see what looks like a hat size - 6 5/8? Mens sizes are given in the 6 - 7 type sizing, womens are usually the actual head size - 21 1/2" , 22, 22 1/2' that sort of measure

Hollis

8. Patentleathershoes

yes it is 6 5/8..i just need to fiddle with the camera some more. and you are right..though i have seen the number sizes on unisex styles like riding helmuts but that is neither here nor there. It just surprises me that it is a man's because of the physical and not number smallness. (though I know it is not supposed to be big enough to come down over the brow, but not too many men I know (none) would have used hat pins to need to keep a hat perched on.

So its for a smaller man or perhaps for a teen? my other thought was that it was for some psuedo-military group. not boyscouts but some other youth troop?

I will do some more sifting around and looking to see if i can find other similar hats on the web and see what i come up with.

Thanks for the info.

9. Patentleathershoes

Okay...I would now say it was 1954 or earlier. I just read online in Soldier magazine that the army switched from olive drab to army green in 1954 because olive drab was no longer unique, as veterens were wearing their hats, and they wanted current army staff to be able to be differentiated plus the camouflaged color was no longer necessary...esp. in winter unifroms. . As this hat is wool garbardine, would assume it was the fall/winter vs summer uniforms.

10. Patentleathershoes

Over two months later...and I still don't have an answer. I have queried all the likely groups and still nothing.

I am still trying to determine if its US or foreign.

so far
    1) Men's hat because of the size scale...but small - unless for a boy/really young man?
    2) If American and real millitary, it is pre 1954 because of the olive gab. I want to say it is US or made in the US because it says "exclusive of ornamentation" and it would not say that in many other countries.
    3) the mystery pins. Maybe added later if so when?

Just bumping in case anyone else should wander over and have a new lead for me to try next.

11. Patentleathershoes

PS : I asked some old vets and they had no clue either.

12. Patentleathershoes

heres the pins off the hat.
    shame the item's history was seperated from the hat. it could have been an interesting story

[​IMG]

13. Patentleathershoes

Update: it was suggested that this is a hat from a boy's military school because of the small size. that makes sense.