1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? about an Elsa Schiaparelli ocelot coat

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Fashion - Ask Questions Get Answers' started by paintedhorsegirl, Apr 22, 2007.

1. paintedhorsegirl

paintedhorsegirl Registered Guest

I'm new to the vintage fashion world and just came to be the owner of an Elsa Schiaparelli ocelt coat, not knowing anything about it or if its got any value. I know that Ocelot can not be sold now, but if its vintage can it be? I have looked every where to get an idea of value, can someone please help?

Thanks
    paintedhorsegirl

2. Elsewhere

Elsewhere VFG Member

Hi there!
    Welcome to the VFG!

If the fur is from an endangered species, it can be very difficult to sell... even if vintage. Most states seem to require proof of provenance, such as an original purchase receipt pre-dating the endangered species act.
    Those are very hard to come by, obviously!
    But -- some of the laws may vary state to state -- I think we have a link about this somewhere?
    In some states it can be legal to sell WITHIN the state, but cannot be shipped or carried over state lines.

Ok -- still working on my coffee. I hope that was at least a little helpful!

3. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

Well in the uk if it has provenance, (if you have any) an it proves it to be BEFORE 1947 you can sell it without a lisence...otherwise you need one to sell it and import it...or send it to another country, so beware, as the police ( apparently have nought better to do these days!!) and scout ebay and so ebay will pass on your information etc, to the police and customs.

Sorry dont want to scare you, but save you our experiences!!

Have you any pics, and labels, you can post to help us date it...

4. claireshaeffer

claireshaeffer VFG Member

A couple of thoughts--
    An auction house can probably tell you whether it can be sold and this might be the easiest way to sell it. As an e-bay and auction shopper, I am more likely to spend more at an auction than an e-bay item unless I know the dealer.

If you can't sell it, consider asking a museum if you can donate it. This is a good reason to belong to Costume Society--many museum curators are also members and you can network with them there. Claire

5. BagDiva

BagDiva Guest

of vourse you can sell it privately...another good reason to post pics!!

6. paintedhorsegirl

paintedhorsegirl Registered Guest

Thank you for all the replies, I will see if I can post pictures of the coat and label. Would love feed back once the pictures are on. Thank again everyone!

O.K. how do I post the pictures? Very computer challanged!

7. pinky-a-gogo

pinky-a-gogo VFG Member VFG Past President

It is against the law to sell it privately. Are the fines and/or jail time worth it if caught?