1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acine's? Has anyone out there heard of this manufacturer?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by NylonNostalgia, Feb 17, 2022.

1. NylonNostalgia

NylonNostalgia VFG Member

Hi all,

ACINE'S

It's not often I am flummoxed by a label, but here's a good example of a brand name that draws a complete blank wherever I try to look. Can anyone help with any info, no matter how small.

The garment is a 1950's layered petticoat, which I suspect is American (but again, I could be wrong).

51887703420_81c0aed9f2_k.jpg

2. Vintagiality

Vintagiality VFG Treasurer Staff Member

This is what I got from a quick search. Will look more later
    B357F94A-158D-445D-A69F-14BF6FACF524.jpeg

3. NylonNostalgia

Fab! The power of VFG! Thank you Victoria for pointing me in the right direction!

Vintagiality likes this.
  4. Vintagiality

Glad I could help. What is strange is that it says she became the owner in 1949 but I see a 1933 ad with that name
    B473787F-3DFE-418C-B848-C033E503506B.jpeg

5. NylonNostalgia

Hmmm - one of those mysteries I suppose. The main thing is that you shed some light on one of the more obscure labels I've encountered in ages. She evidently had a workshop and a couple of retail shops in Florida and that was it, so I suppose it is hardly surprising she was low profile.

Thank you once again, Victoria!

Vintagiality likes this.
  6. lkranieri

lkranieri VFG Member

I found a 1931 classified ad for Acine's and a 1951 article about the business noted: "Mrs. Azouri, better known as Acine, designs lingerie using pure silk and imported laces exclusively...The Azouris were in the retail business in Brooklyn from 1928 to 1944. In 1944 they gave up the retail business there and went into the manufacturing of silk lingerie, selling to better shops...In January they came to Miami Beach and took a five-year lease on the present store. They left the factory under the management of Acine's sister, Matilda Alexander..."

Vintagiality likes this.
  7. Vintagiality

That’s a bit strange. First, the date for the Miami move seems a few years off (1951 vs 1949) from the obit. Also, the obit statement “became the owner and operator of Acine’s Lingerie Shops…” sounded to me like they did have their own retail operations in two different locations. Maybe they went back into retail at some point after 1951. Or maybe I am just misinterpreting the statement.