1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adorable Bowknot Mystery Dress

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Show and Tell - Share your treasures' started by Olivia Smith, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Olivia Smith

Olivia Smith Registered Guest

No tags. What do y’all think the decade is?

9B285CBF-90CB-4590-AC7C-E7E909AD05C9.jpeg
    8FDE761F-A75D-4285-ADAF-3A68212097C0.jpeg 6A2D9BF0-EC50-455C-AD26-76FDDA048646.jpeg 4D2C15D5-C00F-46F9-9D03-EC35839E43F1.jpeg

Metro Retro Vintage likes this.
  2. northstarvintage

northstarvintage Administrator Staff Member

Lovely! I’m seeing 30s. Was the white knot an addition?

Flannery Crane likes this.
  3. Olivia Smith

Olivia Smith Registered Guest

WOW really that old? I’m amazed. Yes I tied the knot

northstarvintage likes this.
  4. Jonathan

Jonathan VFG Member

There was either an underskirt originally, or it has been chopped.

Gail Brassard and Flannery Crane like this.
  5. Vinclothes

Vinclothes Alumni +

Yes, it has been drastically shortened or as Jonathan says had a longer straight under skirt. Attention to sleeves seems to have been a 30's interest.
    Marian

6. vivavintageclothing

vivavintageclothing VFG Member

Just thinking here, but could it be that the collar/bow was added in the late 1960s-early 70s, at which time the dress might also have been shortened to "mini" length? "
    Based on the style of the collar/bow, which looks similar to those from that era, and the (relatively new) interest in wearing vintage at that time, perhaps that might explain it?
    It really is a mystery!

Flannery Crane likes this.
  7. Flannery Crane

Flannery Crane VFG Member

Wow beautiful!

8. poppysvintageclothing

poppysvintageclothing VFG Board Member Staff Member VFG Past President

I agree that it was definitely shortened. It was most likely a full length silk crepe evening gown. The white tie must have been added, I have seen matching silk ties on 30s items before, perhaps the original had disintegrated and as Amy mentioned it was redone in the 1960s.

9. 196t's

196t's Registered Guest

That's the first thing that popped into my mind. It has a late '60s style but the embroidery seemed much older.