1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for leaving Etsy and going to Shopify?

Discussion in 'PUBLIC Vintage Chatter - Anything and everything' started by birdcagevintage, Jun 2, 2016.

1. birdcagevintage

birdcagevintage Registered Guest

Hey!

So I have been a seller on Etsy for a few years now, and I want to begin to branch out into my own site (which is currently up and running). I originally tried it through Shopify, but knew nothing about SEO etc (I do now). I also had crappy photos. I went to Etsy because I knew there were already customers there waiting. But now it is time to go back to what I really wanted to do.

I guess what I am asking is for any advice at all regarding selling vintage in a standalone, driving traffic, the shop itself, anything. I need help! 2 visitors (thanks mom) a day are not going to secure my retirement!

Thanks!!
    Jenn

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2016
  2. foofoogal

foofoogal Registered Guest

I hear Weebly is easier for some.

Shopify has various addons I believe.

I need some more baskets myself.

3. Bird75

Bird75 Registered Guest

Hi Jenn,
    Great website, I really like it.
    T
    However this is exactly where I am at. I've also got an Etsy shop but I really want to have my own independent website.
    How are you finding the traffic and sales?
    My main issue at the minute is I am employed full time so it's trying to balance it all out.
    Also do you have your garments specially cleaned?
    Thanks for your time,
    Sharon

4. May Lim

May Lim Registered Guest

hi jenn and ladies :))
    maybe you can read up more on wordpress (self hosting), because they already have SEO built in. I'm not too knowledgable on the technical terms but every time you update your store, it'll straight away 'Ping' Google (sort of like giving Google a notice), and Google will send crawlers to your site to be indexed fast.

I sell independant music albums online as a side, and used wordpress. Have yet to try shopify so I can't comment about the difference.
    You probably could sell half half (etsy and store) for a while to slowly migrate your current customers over? :)